S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Door handle led(courtesy)light in recess - one(rear left) LED working, 3 not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S350
Door handle led(courtesy)light in recess - one(rear left) LED working, 3 not working

Hi guys...(are there any girls btw??)
(have seen similiar posts but not exactly this problem so asking)
S350/w220 (MY2004 - GERMAN)
The courtesy light in door handles (small led light) are supposed to be on when ignition is turned off. My problem:
1. the door handle lights on front doors and rear left door do not turn on. only the rear left light remains on.
2. the rear left ligt remains on even after the headlights and everything else goes off, i think on for even more than 5 minutes , which i believe should not be the case.

So appreciate if someone can suggest:
a. potential problem/root cause.
b. solution -if one of the fuses could be potential problem, could you plz identify the fuse to be checked ( i have seen the fuse chart in w220 forum but cannot relate one to the LED lighting)
c. and a clarifiaction whether all four door lights are linked to same electrical circuit and fuse or different ones or any specific combination (front two, rear two, left or right??)
Regards
Old 03-26-2012, 02:33 PM

S350
Hi guys
(have seen similiar posts but not exactly this problem so asking)
The courtesy light in door handles (small led light) are supposed to be on when ignition is turned off. My problem:
1. the door handle lights on front doors and rear left door do not turn on. only the rear left light remains on.
2. the rear left ligt remains on even after the headlights and everything else goes off, i think on for even more than 5 minutes , which i believe should not be the case.

So appreciate if someone can suggest solution. Regards
S350/w220 (MY2004 - GERMAN)
Old 03-26-2012, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
The most common cause of the failure of the LED light in the door handles is the LED itself. Some folks go so far as to solder a new LED into place on the old module. I replaced the module. You can see a pretty good set of "how-to" instructions in the body panel removal videos at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...-exterior.html - the video shows how to access the front Door Control Module - when you get there, replacement of the front lights is simple. The rear doors are tougher - in the same link, scroll to post #10 and check the pdf. Post #10 also has a link to written instructions for the front door LED.

Pay attention to the proper seating of the cables between the door handle and the lock!! If they're loose after you put things back together, you missed the last step in the pdf, and it's easy to do.

Last edited by Skylaw; 03-26-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 S500, 03 C240, 03 E320, 03 tahoe
thats for that link

Originally Posted by Skylaw
The most common cause of the failure of the LED light in the door handles is the LED itself. Some folks go so far as to solder a new LED into place on the old module. I replaced the module. You can see a pretty good set of "how-to" instructions in the body panel removal videos at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...-exterior.html - the video shows how to access the front Door Control Module - when you get there, replacement of the front lights is simple. The rear doors are tougher - in the same link, scroll to post #10 and check the pdf. Post #10 also has a link to written instructions for the front door LED.

Pay attention to the proper seating of the cables between the door handle and the lock!! If they're loose after you put things back together, you missed the last step in the pdf, and it's easy to do.
this forum should be part of the docs/service records in every MB on the planet!
Old 03-29-2012, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks. The links are in the updated version of the W220 S-Class Encyclopedia on that forum.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:39 PM

S350
Skylaw, many thanks...should have mentioned that i went thru the whole thread and pdf which are very well written and very helpful.. ...but i was hoping in the end again that i may have an easier solution (fuse replacement for door handle lights as i noticed this problem in another thread related to keylss go).

also it was first time ever that i read that LEDs can be fuse.....should we say thanks to mercedes for bringing this brilliant fact to our knowledge!!!!!!!

as for the problem, i shall probably refer to the mechanic rather than trying myself...not a DIYer as i have low tolerance for latches/rivets ...

btw, there is a very nice fuse chart in one thread but it does not appear in search ...i got to it thru browsing after failed earches....can you fix the search tags for that thread in the beginners section

thanks again for your help.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am not aware of any fusing just for the door handle LEDs. They draw their power from the Door Control Module, and if a fuse for one of those was out, you'd have a lot more than the LED failing to function. If you have other information, a url would be helpful.

Also, I am not a moderator on MBWorld, so I don't know that I can address search tags; and if I can, I would have to know the URL of the thread you want addressed. If the thread is on Benzworld I can try to address it, but still need the URL.

There is a W220 S-Class Encyclopedia on this forum. Because so many folks would not grant my request to keep it as a research tool, and insisted on turning it into a discussion thread (ruining its utility as a research tool), I no longer keep it updated. The version I keep up to date is at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...tart-here.html where I can prevent irrelevant posts. That version has links to all of the fuse charts that forum members have provided.

Last edited by Skylaw; 04-04-2012 at 09:36 AM.