S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

What made you want to?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 06:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2000 mercedes benz s430
What made you want to?

I was complaining about this forum being boring so I am going to try to make more threads other then problems with my car.

What made you want to buy a W220?

What other cars were you considering?

How much did you pay for your car?

Are you still enjoying your car? Or are you ready for something different?
Old 04-09-2012, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
1. It was simply the finest luxury car in my budget. It had every gadget you could want, an awesome interior, smooth good looks, a good ride, and good enough reliability.

2. just about everything.

3. $40k+/-

4. I still like my car a lot, but I don't really need all the space so I'm considering a Bentley GTC, an Aston Vantage V8 Volante, and potentially a porsche 997s cabriolet.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:54 PM

2000 mercedes benz s430
I should have probably answered my own questions lol

1) It was the best car for the vlaue and I always loved the way they looked.

2) I was looking at bmw 745i and bmw m3's.

3) I got a super deal from the original owner got him down to 6,800 about a year ago. The car was in excellent condition with tons of records.

4) I am still loving the car I think I will keep it for another year maybe little longer and then upgrade to s550 or e60 M5

Originally Posted by SFBIGBODY415
I was complaining about this forum being boring so I am going to try to make more threads other then problems with my car.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:22 PM

2000 mercedes benz s430
Over 200 views and one reply AWESOME!!!
Old 04-09-2012, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003S600 and 2002c320s
I had always wanted an e55 AMG for the performance and comfort. When this S600 came along, the price wasn't much different (60 K in 2007) but was a lot more car for the money. It's an awesome car but I haven't figured out what to replace it with. So after 4.5 years of ownership I still enjoy it and do not plan on changing it any time soon.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:00 PM

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts
MB 2003 S600. Volvo 2003 XC70.
Smile

Nick,

Take it easy and don't be mad.

As I said I come to the forum daily, so here it goes:
1) It is safe, comfortable and luxury. Or let's say it's an art.
MB invented car 126 years ago and I believe Germans really do their best to deliver high quality works.
A MB W220 is a result of all the best stuff accumulated within these 126 years.

2) I don't think there is compatitors regarding my taste.
My first car is Volvo XC70, a Swedish Wagon it's safe and spacious as I have kids.
This S600 is an upgrade and something treating myself. Don't want to be too late to own a Mercedes.
But if thinking about a 3rd car, Porsche 911 C4S is on the list. More sporty and enough room for two, comfortable won't be the priority.

3) $20K is the best deal I could get in Canada for a 2003 S600 with sport pkg.

4) I enjoy my S600 very much, not only driving it but also working on the car.
The smooth ride really make me feel every trip is too short. Everyday I go out a few times only to see her. As the neighbour old lady said when she was sitting in the front door having cigarette: What a damn good looking car. That's after I painted the fenders by myself. And she has not seen the inside or under hood yet, .

Definitely keep it as long as I can.

Last edited by haoz129; 04-09-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:24 AM

2000 mercedes benz s430
Well said about the car being art. Sometimes i forget how nice our cars really are. I mean they were the flagship cars for Mercedes. Even though they are worth a fraction of what they once costed they have features they most brand new cars don't have.

OTE=haoz129;5141778]Nick,

Take it easy and don't be mad.

As I said I come to the forum daily, so here it goes:
1) It is safe, comfortable and luxury. Or let's say it's an art.
MB invented car 126 years ago and I believe Germans really do their best to deliver high quality works.
A MB W220 is a result of all the best stuff accumulated within these 126 years.

2) I don't think there is compatitors regarding my taste.
My first car is Volvo XC70, a Swedish Wagon it's safe and spacious as I have kids.
This S600 is an upgrade and something treating myself. Don't want to be too late to own a Mercedes.
But if thinking about a 3rd car, Porsche 911 C4S is on the list. More sporty and enough room for two, comfortable won't be the priority.

3) $20K is the best deal I could get in Canada for a 2003 S600 with sport pkg.

4) I enjoy my S600 very much, not only driving it but also working on the car.
The smooth ride really make me feel every trip is too short. Everyday I go out a few times only to see her. As the neighbour old lady said when she was sitting in the front door having cigarette: What a damn good looking car. That's after I painted the fenders by myself. And she has not seen the inside or under hood yet, .

Definitely keep it as long as I can.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-10-2012, 07:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
One word V12

Actually I had a C32, loved that car and still miss her. Should have never sold it, but alas I did. GREAT daily driver, good track car, and just alot of fun to drive.

Next E55. What can you say about the power but Just wasn't big enough for the growing family, wifes point of view, so

S600 With a tune, nothing can compare, IMHO. Plenty of room, and comfort up the a__. Tried tracking her, but only had 3 or 4 laps before brake fade. Oh well, can't have it all I guess.

Out of the 3, if you have a family the S for sure.

If I was single, I would have kept the C32, sorry guys, but I am being honest.

Interesting point, they ALL gave me about the same mileage

Okay, the C was a little better on the interstate, but around town, I only received around 14-15 MPG in ALL of them, go figure.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:24 AM

2002 S430 Sport Pkg
I always desired a Mercedes since I was a child when my father taught how to drive our manual transmission 240D. He bought the car new in 1984 and we still have it.

I was looking at used w140's but couldn't find the right one, either too many miles, or low miles but god awful color. My father convince me to look at new, I walked into the dealership and saw the one I liked 2002 S430 with sport package. At first I leased it and at the end of the lease decided to buy it.

I will be surprised if I sell it, I have been tempted by other cars. Then I realize if a scratch the itch I will always be a perpetual consumer. With the economy being what it has been, and business being as difficult as it has, I have decided I like being content. I've only covered 43,000 miles in my car, it doesnt make sense for me to flip into new cars I don't drive them enough to justify the expenditure.

I had a friend who asked if I still had my dinosaur? I asked him if he has gotten his license reinstated, and if his girl was still driving Mr. Daisy?
Old 04-10-2012, 08:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Mercedes obviously!
I couldn't find a Hyundai Accent with the velour patterned seats I was hoping for.

Aforementioned Hyundai Accent 1.3 diesel plus Kia Sephia, Daewoo Lanos, all with some missing hubcaps.

I stole it. People are way too trusting of people in waistcoats hanging around valet parking.

I'm yearning to get into some Korean reasonableness very soon.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Fraser
I couldn't find a Hyundai Accent with the velour patterned seats I was hoping for.

Aforementioned Hyundai Accent 1.3 diesel plus Kia Sephia, Daewoo Lanos, all with some missing hubcaps.

I stole it. People are way too trusting of people in waistcoats hanging around valet parking.

I'm yearning to get into some Korean reasonableness very soon.
Good stuff here
Old 04-10-2012, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W220 M113K
The room and soft ride

C55

30 +/- in 2006

Yup just did a bunch of work to it!
Old 04-10-2012, 04:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2005 Mercedes S600, 2004 Mercedes E500 4-Matic, 2002 Mercedes C32 AMG, 2001 Trans-Am WS-6
I came from a 2002 C32 AMG, loved the car and it's performance, but after an accident (where I can say with all certainty the car saved my life) and 150k+ miles, all it's issues started to annoy me (faulty stepper motors buried in the dashboard in particular). Needed a sedan for the family and for my highway commute to my office. I also have an E500 4-Matic (traded from a Lexus ES) as a winter driver (you have to have at least one practical car, right?), so I didn't want another E class (I need to have something "unique" as my daily driver).

So I started shopping around for the CLS55, and stubmled onto what is now my S600 at the same dealer. On a whim, I test drove both, and despite the fact that I still think the CLS has some damn sexy lines on the outside, the interior was identical to my E (same platform...blah). In addition, there was absolutely no comparison as far as the combination of performance, ride, and the interior (oh the interior!). SOLD!!!

Am I enjoying my S600? Absolutely, but with now just over 90k miles on her, you've seen from my other posts, that things are starting to fail as would be expected. It is frustrating when you can't go 4 weeks without something sending it to the shop. But I promised my wife the "next car" so I'll keep throwing money at mine for the time being. I'm hoping to squeeze 150k out of her.

As far as somthing different? I did look at an Alpina B7, Audi S8 v10, and the Maserati Quattroporte, but wasn't thrilled with them for various reasons. Ultimately though, I'll be Mercedes Benz Loyal for a while since the accident. It's what I want my family in if something happens. My wife is wanting something with more power (she had a modified Trans AM WS6 prior), so perhaps an AMG E or SL for her soon, and the E500 can get passed down to my daughter who just started driving this year.

There's my story...Cheers!
Old 04-10-2012, 10:12 PM

2000 mercedes benz s430
Well said! I love the cls55 i think its one of the nicest cars around i would for sure buy one for my next car. They are hard to find because they only made them in 06. I like them better then the 63. I would stay away from b7 my buddy has a 745 and i nvr seen a car break down as much as his.

marktan;5142759]I came from a 2002 C32 AMG, loved the car and it's performance, but after an accident (where I can say with all certainty the car saved my life) and 150k+ miles, all it's issues started to annoy me (faulty stepper motors buried in the dashboard in particular). Needed a sedan for the family and for my highway commute to my office. I also have an E500 4-Matic (traded from a Lexus ES) as a winter driver (you have to have at least one practical car, right?), so I didn't want another E class (I need to have something "unique" as my daily driver).

So I started shopping around for the CLS55, and stubmled onto what is now my S600 at the same dealer. On a whim, I test drove both, and despite the fact that I still think the CLS has some damn sexy lines on the outside, the interior was identical to my E (same platform...blah). In addition, there was absolutely no comparison as far as the combination of performance, ride, and the interior (oh the interior!). SOLD!!!

Am I enjoying my S600? Absolutely, but with now just over 90k miles on her, you've seen from my other posts, that things are starting to fail as would be expected. It is frustrating when you can't go 4 weeks without something sending it to the shop. But I promised my wife the "next car" so I'll keep throwing money at mine for the time being. I'm hoping to squeeze 150k out of her.

As far as somthing different? I did look at an Alpina B7, Audi S8 v10, and the Maserati Quattroporte, but wasn't thrilled with them for various reasons. Ultimately though, I'll be Mercedes Benz Loyal for a while since the accident. It's what I want my family in if something happens. My wife is wanting something with more power (she had a modified Trans AM WS6 prior), so perhaps an AMG E or SL for her soon, and the E500 can get passed down to my daughter who just started driving this year.

There's my story...Cheers![/QUOTE]
Old 04-11-2012, 04:42 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
W221 2013 s550 Rwd
i have always loved the styling of the w220 . i think mercedes really did a good job with it, spacious, comfortable , luxurious etc......

few years back s500 had like 50k miles.
i paid round 14k+/-
s600 had 20k miles
got it for around 34k

wasnt really considering anything else at the time .

for all the s class owners that talk about reliability .... the 7 series does not have a good track record ! they are maintenance pits ! bmw went backwards with the 7 series 02 n up .....cost them fortune in warranty work.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:11 AM

opposite-lock...
Awesome / admirable! And I lol'd about your follow up post forgetting to do it yerself - too funny.

Here goes:

I need to haul 3 kids in booster seats around, not much out there that can accommodate them across the back and still be a hoot to drive. I wasn't W220 specific, it just worked out that this is the model that had depreciated into my budget at the time.

Funny to see many here thinking along the same lines...

I really wanted a QPortte... but reality presided this time around. Maybe next car in 4yrs or so. They require dealer specific tools to service and the closest is in Greenwich nearly 2hrs away.

Next up was another //S8, I adored the 5yrs & 85k I had my D2 body... the D3 V10 is intoxicating and the interior rules. Both this and the Maser tho were both too far out of my range for the time being.

I nearly bought an E55 Estate, '05, 66k, really nice. Love that explosive power, love a sleeperwagon. But then Brucifer spewed S600 talk and one fell out of the sky like a day later... less miles same year less money... um, wut? WIN! 8-)

Coming out of my //S8 and my 930, it was a huge decision to make... what could possibly replace the awesomeness (IMO) of both of those? One car that could do what both those could? Wrapped up in one tidy package?

I think this is a nail/head of an answer... bombastically powerful, seductively luxurious, bauls out incredulousness. I've grown quite fond of forced induction from my previous cars, and once you have a big luxury car it sure is hard to go down to anything less / smaller.

In the end, I really dig how intrinsically 'special' (folks keep saying I'm special) 600's are... lot of pedigree / heritage / legend from the original mold breaker. I'm honored to own mine, honestly - it's a privelage, and, not for the squeamish heh heh.

Thru Brucifer, thru Manheim, all said shipping dings 'n detail... let's call it $30flat, 51k mi. Slapped on a $6k warranty and out the door (my 930 was able to be used as 'trade' - no taxes), I thought it was a helluvalotta car for the dough. What else could I get, warranted, with this level of performance / features / amazingness?

Feckyeah! More with each passing mile second minute hour day week! Really starting to get into the groove with it, now 5mos / 10k miles into it... and... after having me'd it some. Righted a few things, it's all tieing together quite nicely knock woodrow!

Something different? I'm in this for 4 if not 5 yrs.

prob then is - WHAT!!!??? Where does one go from 'here'? Continential? Maybach? Don't laugh... depreciation is a wonderful thing 8-)...

I will say - after having many Benz's over the years... it feels GREAT to be back in one!
Old 04-12-2012, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W220 M113K
Originally Posted by Sgt. Schultz

prob then is - WHAT!!!??? Where does one go from 'here'? Continential? Maybach? Don't laugh... depreciation is a wonderful thing 8-)...
w221 s65 or 600
Old 04-12-2012, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by 02S430
w221 s65 or 600
On an interesting note. My previous owner of my toy, just bought a 08 S600.

When I asked him the difference, his words "They are both the top of the line pedigree so what can you say"

I was VERY surprised that he didn't have at least one say as to SOMETHING was much better

Just food for thought my friends.

PS: The new ones are even heavier, go figure.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:26 PM

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts
MB 2003 S600. Volvo 2003 XC70.
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
On an interesting note. My previous owner of my toy, just bought a 08 S600.

When I asked him the difference, his words "They are both the top of the line pedigree so what can you say"

I was VERY surprised that he didn't have at least one say as to SOMETHING was much better

Just food for thought my friends.

PS: The new ones are even heavier, go figure.
Yeah, same V12, only 17 HPs more to compensate more weight.
Sure, different body style and more electirc gadgets.

But for the way a S600 is, didn't change much.

Howard
Old 04-12-2012, 05:53 PM

2000 mercedes benz s430
Yeah i mean how much better can u get when u have the best out there? But really the w221 are really really nice i mean the interiors are just something else. The styling just unreal. They had to go all out to make something better then w220.

haoz129;5145921]Yeah, same V12, only 17 HPs more to compensate more weight.
Sure, different body style and more electirc gadgets.

But for the way a S600 is, didn't change much.

Howard[/QUOTE]
Old 04-16-2012, 07:25 PM

2002 S430
It would be easier to tell why I want my next car to be a MB.

I had driven Lincoln Town Cars 1997 over 11 years and when time came for a change I wanted something at least as good or surpassing the pleasant ride of that model.

My tedious search boiled down to a 2006 TC, a 2002 Lexus L400 and a 2002 S430. I found the body design of the Benz a lot more exciting than that of the other two and besides, it seemed to be the best deal. The seller already had his 2006 S600 delivered and I got my first Mercedes for $10,400 in good checked condition with 74K miles.

It was a Florida car all life and I drove it home (Indiana) over a 1000 miles. And each mile I drove I liked what I had more and more and here we are.

Related costs in the past 15 month and 10K miles:
1. 1. ~ $800 for parts, including a reman CD changer from the dealer
2. 2. ~ $300 for minor repairs at professional shops
3. 3. over $2,000 savings by DIY and this forum, including the repair of a stuck shifter, and NOT replacing a perfectly OK PSE pump just because I was told so
4. 4. normal maintenance (tires, oil change etc), you know.

A remark, off thread: this forum is NOT boring especially when you need it for trouble shooting and advising. And you will come for it….
Best to all
George
Old 04-16-2012, 11:10 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
W221 2013 s550 Rwd
trombone .. theres nothing wrong with town cars! i own a town as well . i love it.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:13 PM

2002 S430
Oh... I agree 100%
My daughter has '97 and an '85 TC and another '93 for parts donor. Runs in the family.
George
Old 04-20-2012, 03:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 s500 sport package
I had a e class before I wanted the s class next.

Actually at the moment I'm considering a s550..

I still enjoy it. I really dont drive it much. I'm thinking of s550
Old 04-21-2012, 11:27 PM

Car

For the S430, it was the simply the best in safety and luxury. The S500 was an excellent deal.

With the S430, it was the Infiniti Q45.
The S500 was something found at a dealer while looking at Escalades.

The S430 was about $50K at 18K miles when it was bought it 2003, while the S500 was bought in 2009 for $21K at 51K miles.

The S430 was sadly totaled and the daily driver S500 is a great car, but the recent problems with the TPMS and the A/C may lead to a new car. Not sure how soon that will be though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What made you want to?