Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2003, 06:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Cruise Control

I was driving my friend to the airport this morning and on the way back, I got bored, so I was playing with some of the gadgets in the car

I used cruise control and set it at 40MPH, and as I was going down a hill, I could have sworn that the car applied the brakes automatically to slow the car down. I saw the speedometer needle go to about 44MPH and it went back down to 40MPH after I felt the brakes being applied. Is this what cruise control does automatically or anyone else experience this before? Just curious...
Old 07-04-2003, 07:33 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Usually when people say cruise control they mean that little button you press so you can remove your foot from the gas and the car would go by itself.

But Mercedes Cruise Control seems to be different. Its for speed limiting only. it even have “Lim” written on it, right?

Well… you can set the max speed you want. So when you take ur foot off the gas, the car will decelerate normally. But when you step on the gas, ur speed wont exceed the on you chose on the Cruise Control.
Yes, it will apply the brakes. Though I think it should’ve been through the engine or something instead of the breaks.

I find this Cruise Control too useful when I drive on the highway here. We have a lot of speed limits cameras and its really annoying trying to slow down and make sure u’re not driving ove 120km/h not even one kilometers faster!

Too bad it doesn’t function correctly anymore
Old 07-04-2003, 08:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
If I step on the gas, it disengages the cruise control and I can drive normally again... You are probably right about not the actually brakes being applied, but the engine takes away the power? But, If i'm going down hill, no gas is being applied, therefore no power to the engine if it's just cruising in drive, so thats why I thought/think it was the brakes being applied by the computer...
Old 07-04-2003, 09:38 AM

im not sure what you are all talking about, no it cant be possible brakes are being applied. Say you set it on 40 mph and ur goin downhill, the reason it slows down is because it downshifts in gears, you can feel it and you can see it by the revs. And even if you have it on 40 mph and step on the gas, you can do like 120 mph if you wanted, it wont stop you
Old 07-04-2003, 09:58 AM
Banned

It applies the brakes. And I agree... its stupid!

want to do a little test? clean the wheels, set the CC on 40 mph, and step on the gas... after 30 minutes, check the wheels :P
Old 07-04-2003, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

marta
It applies the brakes in distronic cruise control.
Old 07-04-2003, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
But I don't have distronic cruise control...
Old 07-04-2003, 12:59 PM

s65AMG, sl500
Most Mercedes have both a speed limiter and cruise control, certainly on all models with speed tronic on the auto box.

Its on a stick mounted on the steering colum

Push the stick in and it will limit your speed to that level it works in 5mph increments and you can adjust up and down using the stick, a little light on the stick lets you know its active, the car will not go above that level unless you kick down, it appears to brake to maintain speed.

Push the stick up and you set cruise control this works in increments of one mile per hour, once set you can remove your foot from the throttle, continue pushing up the stick and the car will accelerate, push down and the car will decelerate, touch the brake and you disengage it.

If going down hill and your speed exceeds that set by cruise control it will cut power and does seem to brake as well.

Have a look in your drivers manual