S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Hardwired USB charger & Renntech ELM wiring

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S500
Hardwired USB charger & Renntech ELM wiring

I finally got tired of the notorious loose cigarette lighter and my phone not charging. I took a few pictures of rough solution I made tonight of parts I had laying around the house.

The power I used for hardwiring the USB plug was from my fused hardwired Valentine 1 and a ground from my ELM.

And as requested from a thread a few months ago, I also took a few more shots of my Renntech ELM wiring.

What the center console looks like when you take out the 3 torx screws for the covering. All the multicolored wires and butt connectors are for the ELM.

All back together

Renntech V1 wiring

I extended the wiring harness from the airmatic module under the hood, through the firewall to my arm rest.

I removed the OEM cell phone holder that is typically here so the Renntech module would neatly tuck into the arm rest, but still be easily accessible.

All closed up

Old 08-01-2012, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S55k
I'm working on a USB charger in my center console also. The 2 USB cigarette chargers have dont seem to work normally. Is there a specific one you used?
Thanks
Old 08-04-2012, 11:51 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ahhhhhh t-taps. I hate t taps, especially multiple on 1 wire. Too much of a possibility of a voltage drop or cutting the wire completely.

If you must leave them remove the red tap and run both of those grounds to the blue tap. The red one has probably cut half of the wires on the brown wire.