S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Battery is not being charged !!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 S500 AMG Sport, ABC,Distronic,Rear Side Shades // '10 E350 P2, Pano, BLK/ALM,4MATIC Sport
Battery is not being charged !!

Last wk monday my '01 s500 alarm started chirping after it rain the night before, mind you this car never stays out but i was being lazy not wanting to move the other car out the way that previous night. So i come to the car and tried unlocking it and nothing happen right away i knew the battery died but why? The chirping alarm siren lead me to believe the internal battery went bad so i ordered a new siren installed it on sunday and started the car after but 30 mins in having the car idle i saw that the radio went off the interior lights started dimming also the cluster went out and thats when i realized the battery wasn't being charged. On the monday of the alarm chirping when i jumped the car i noticed a burning electrical smell coming from the alternator area and the car could not run on its own power but just thought the battery was so depleted. I'm still getting that burning smell with not warning in the cluster whether some was wrong. any insights from u guys would be gladly appreciated. p.s i didn't rule out the alternator .
Old 06-13-2012, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
if youre getting a burning electrical smell near the alternator and its not charging, it might be the alternator thats bad

many auto parts stores can check it for free, even when its still on the car, assuming you can charge the battery enough to get the car to make it to the store and back home.

dont jump start these cars, you can do lots of damage. use a real battery charger and charge it fully before driving
Old 06-14-2012, 06:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ML63, e550 cabrio
well, I can tell you my alternator went bad and the light on dash came on. car will run and then the EPS/ABS lights come on the a 3 minute warning comes on the navigation screen, then car dies. took it to 2 different shops and alternator/regulator is bad. I am replacing it this weekend. if this is not happening, sounds to me like a short somewhere grounding out the system, especially with the burning smell. but my car is a 600 not 500 and has the water-cooled alternator.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:13 PM
SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, MINI and more!
Originally Posted by evansw220
Last wk monday my '01 s500 alarm started chirping after it rain the night before, mind you this car never stays out but i was being lazy not wanting to move the other car out the way that previous night. So i come to the car and tried unlocking it and nothing happen right away i knew the battery died but why? The chirping alarm siren lead me to believe the internal battery went bad so i ordered a new siren installed it on sunday and started the car after but 30 mins in having the car idle i saw that the radio went off the interior lights started dimming also the cluster went out and thats when i realized the battery wasn't being charged. On the monday of the alarm chirping when i jumped the car i noticed a burning electrical smell coming from the alternator area and the car could not run on its own power but just thought the battery was so depleted. I'm still getting that burning smell with not warning in the cluster whether some was wrong. any insights from u guys would be gladly appreciated. p.s i didn't rule out the alternator .
Mythology: #2. After a jump-start, the car will quickly recharge the battery.

Fact:
Depending upon vehicle year, make model, many new cars either will NOT re-charge a dead battery or can take hours of driving to restore full charge.

Warning: Mercedes Benz technical service information clearly warns owners of newer vehicles to NEVER jump start the car, and to disconnect the battery from the car BEFORE charging, or electrical system damage will result.

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/...ogy-101-a.html

Roy@PelicanParts.com

Old 06-14-2012, 11:42 PM

'01 S500 AMG Sport, ABC,Distronic,Rear Side Shades // '10 E350 P2, Pano, BLK/ALM,4MATIC Sport
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Mythology: #2. After a jump-start, the car will quickly recharge the battery.

Fact:
Depending upon vehicle year, make model, many new cars either will NOT re-charge a dead battery or can take hours of driving to restore full charge.

Warning: Mercedes Benz technical service information clearly warns owners of newer vehicles to NEVER jump start the car, and to disconnect the battery from the car BEFORE charging, or electrical system damage will result.

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/...ogy-101-a.html

Roy@PelicanParts.com

I normally keep the car hooked up with a trickle charger but had the car parked like 3/4 in the driveway from the garage with a car blocking the path. this is the 1st time ever jumping this car. Was i right on the 1st diag. in what caused the battery draw?

Originally Posted by xliemx717
well, I can tell you my alternator went bad and the light on dash came on. car will run and then the EPS/ABS lights come on the a 3 minute warning comes on the navigation screen, then car dies. took it to 2 different shops and alternator/regulator is bad. I am replacing it this weekend. if this is not happening, sounds to me like a short somewhere grounding out the system, especially with the burning smell. but my car is a 600 not 500 and has the water-cooled alternator.
yea the ESP/ABS comes on and the consumers like the radio would shut off

Last edited by evansw220; 06-14-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:26 PM

2002 S430
It looks as you need a new alternator (90%) and a new battery(50%). The alarm did not have enough time to drain you battery. A bad alternator could.

There is nothing wrong with your ESP and ABS, these messages pop up when there is not enough juice in the system.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:56 PM

Updated !

I took the alternator out and brought to be tested and an internal short was diag. It kept on tripping the alternator tester breaker. I put in a remanufactured from MB and the car is running back to normal