Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 329 Likes on 266 Posts
2006 S600
Are the big 8-pot brakes noisy?

Hi All,

I’ve just bought a very nice 2004 S600 BiTurbo, and I’m quickly becoming smitten with my new toy. Previously, I’ve had two naturally aspirated S600’s, and this is a big step forwards in many obvious ways. It’s a high-mileage car, but it’s been well maintained. However, the brakes aren’t all I expected, so I’m wondering what I should really be expecting.

Here in the UK, the BiTurbos have the 360mm/8-pot front brakes, like the S55 Kompressor, but mine aren’t all they might be. There’s a light metal scraping sound, which was caused by broken pad retaining clips. The brake pedal is pretty soft, so I’ll bleed the brakes shortly. However, they also seem to be rather noisy. There’s an obvious whirring and thrumming sound, especially with heavy retardation and at lower speeds, when there’s a detectable vibration (though not like run-out).

I don’t recall this noise with my earlier cars, which had the smaller 345mm/4-pot brakes. They were also cross-drilled, but they were quiet, so I’m wondering if there’s something wrong with mine? This is detracting from the otherwise glorious isolation, and I can’t believe it’s normal.

Does anybody else with the 8-pot brakes have any issue with brake noise?

Thanks, Nick
Old 06-13-2012, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 479 Likes on 425 Posts
Mercedes
just get some good pads like akebono, should make a world of differencce