S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

OT: SLS for the win!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
opposite-lock...
OT: SLS for the win!

Blasted up to Foxboro Saturday w/ my bestest bud to surprise him with hotlaps in a California around a parking lot autox, only to arrive to be surprised at the absence of a California.

We see a pair 'o F430s instead - one a Spider the other a Berlinetta. I'm thinking to myself, hmmm, F430's prob a better car anyway.

Instructor asks experience, I blurt out DEautoxNordschelief, he replies "OK then I'll just sit back and be quiet while you do your thing - saaaweeeeeeeet.

Strap in w/ helmet GoPro ready, and I'm off - a warmup lap and 2 hotlaps. It's an F1 and we're asked to let it do the thinking, which worked "OK" - I had an unwelcomed upshift to 3rd up the front straight which bog'd me a bit and caused some fuss braking back into 2nd. Car understeers quite notably, invokes wetnoodle rain on yer paradae Traction Nanny, and ABS allows some inner front wheel lockup.

I pit in and note the odo... 16k. It feels like 160k. Lifters ticking audibly as you can hear in the vid. My bud comments the same synopsis when he emerges from his. Maybe a better example would have been more fun.

I mean, it was fun - buuuuuuut...

We're ready to exit when I see my bud is trailing behind - he's @ the desk inquiring about re-laps and plunking his Platinum card down for the both of us. Schwing! 599 and Gallardo are absurd wait times (we'd breezed thru to the F430).

Er uh ummmmm... SLS anyone? I'm yer huckleberry... giddeup.

As I submerge mesself beneath the gullwing, my instructor (all SCCA / BMWCCA guys and extremely cool!) both introduces himself and proceeds to break into disclaimer "this car WILL try to KILL YOU", followed by "this is by far the best car here - it's a shame no one's driving it today, everyone thinks it's 'just' a Mercedes". He also inquires about my experiences.

I reply I'm well prep'd for the onslaught of torques coming from a biturbo12 and DEautoxNordschleife. He then takes note of the orange GT3RS in the lot and says "hey did you see THAT thing?"... when I tell him I bombed it up there, we get to the start line and he gestures to the steward there w/ some hand motion - followed by the directive "we'll need a lot of room out there, give him plenty of rope".

Muwhahahaaa - whattapal!

Stuff the pedal and it's immediately evident this is a deft dance partner. The on throttle turn-in beckons for more the harder it's pushed, the motor's midfront placement is profound. Coming out of the hole, kickdown is violent and then double kickdown solid rocket boosters you away - varrRRROOOOOMMM!

Brakes stable and up to task, drift thru the kink, toss it about - it slaps you in the face saying "that all you got - how about some more _PU_SAAAAY_!!!?". Alrighty then, game on.

I pit in to some kind accolades from both my instructor and the gate steward - apparently the most fun they'd been granted all day out there.

Ferrari? WHAT FERRARI - the SLS was embarassingly better on all accounts... at least IMHO 8-). WHATTCAR! I'd read pros/cons from the critics on them before, wasn't sure what to expect. WILDLY impressed, that thing is a thoroughbread PRIZEFIGHTER... feckyeah!

The honor of WOT'ing an orange GT3RS there / back for 200++ mi offered some great insight to that fine gem, I'd only managed some brief backroad blasts 2x prior and once was @ 138mi new (tease). 8400red? HelllllOOOOOO... smacking the limiter proves quite frickin hard - even on openopen road, you simply run out of room and QUICK. The bombastic assualt beyond 7k scrapes from the bellows of hell and assplodes hades in yer face - booorWAAAAAAAAA!!!! Titalating, titalacious. Nothing like that sound.

It proved even in RS trim, you could point that sucker West and not stop until you nosed the Pacific. With the suspension set on the more compliant of the 2 settings (and the exhaust alwaysALWAYS set in SPORT lol), I'd daily that ****** to work all day every day and never break sweat never emerge fatigued.

It also proved entirely more dialed & sorted than his previous 'pedestrian' '04 GT3... that was a car that truly did feel like it was trying to slay you at all times under all circumstances. 6 to 4 then WOT, the 4/5 upchange is ENTIRELY NOT RIGHT - just slams you right smack dab back into the powerband, it's almost F1esque in NOWness and WOWness. Good thing for those digispeedos... tough to read analog when your cerebellum is being gooified.

Oh... so on the way there... we were early and killed some time by making a stop @ Ferrari of Norwood. I'll say that when you pull into such an oasis, an orange GT3RS calling card is mega trump and Bob's your uncle - they really wanted to spend time talking to us, immediately. I of course quickly had to defer to "it's his" soas to point the convo appropriately.

Moments later they're defying him to Gran Turismo about, we plop into a gleaming electric blue MC Sportline with ubersexaaaaaaay matching blue alcantara (everywhere) and full carbon fiber trim. We're short on time, so just a few blasts thru the gears north then south and back but oh mama whattacar. I regretably left the camera in the car for such 8-/... I felt it tacky to attempt.

That place is nirvana - apparently more inventory than any other in country, even Beverly Hills... 20something? 456s everywhere, F430 16M, F430 Stradale's, 550Superamerica - sensory overload, squared.

Our stop there is punctuated w/ another bud's dad in the area swinging by in his Mondial Cab ('83 18k orig owner!) to which he graciously offered both of us a whirl with - I've BTDT but what the heck?

In all - a great (greatgreat) Father's Day Weekend 8-)...