S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Key: Do Not Forget - message behavior

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 04:45 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
W204 C300 2010
Noob Alert - Resolved: Do Not Forget - message behavior

I just wanted to redeem myself, my car does have keyless-go ...

When I got the car it had to familiar looking Smartkeys, both started the car and one had a dead battery. The one with the good battery does not have the keyless-go function but all remote functions worked properly.

Replaced the battery in the other remote, after closer inspection of the shift knob, realized that the car does have keyless-go. I read the owners manual related to this function and everything is good. I can unlock the car via the outside handle, start the car, drive, stop the car, and then lock the car via the handle or remote function.

I can only assume that the key without the keyless function is defective or was a replacement.

================================================== ======

New to this forum not new to Mbworld.org...

Simple question, should the "key Do Not Forget" message in the instrument cluster display when the key is removed from the ignition when the driver's door is open?

Another example, when the car is parked, I use the key remote to unlock and open the driver's door. The "key" message is there and the chimes can be heard.

Seem backward to me, when I put the key in the message goes away with the door open or closed. If I remove the key the message will appear when I open the driver's door.

Is this a normal behavior? Can I change it?

Thanks,

-rob

Last edited by rob_fed; 09-02-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
This is normal behavior for a keyless go car. Obviously its bit of a "duh" warning since you can't lock the car with the key inside of it, but the point stands that you wouldn't want to leave the key in the car.

Does it really annoy you that much?
Old 09-01-2012, 10:49 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
W204 C300 2010
Thanks for the reply. I will get used to it, but since the car does not have keyless go, then it is like a double reminder to take the key, even though I already have it.