S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

S500 faux AMG Rotors and Pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 06:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S500
S500 faux AMG Rotors and Pads

I just changed the Front Rotors and Pads on my S500 faux AMG.

I have a question are the rotors to spin completely free of the pads when not engaged. I have a slight rub, the rotors spin but not as freely as if there were no friction at all.

Additionally right before changing my pads and rotors the Brake fluid Visit Workshop light came on. I am 80% sure there is no problem with the pump, as the light goes out if I play with the reservoir and Brake Fluid Sensor. (My thought is that the sensor is loose or corroded somewhere and the connection gets broken but I am willing to entertain the other suggestions). The brakes are working fine. There is a bit of shudder but I think the break in period is still on.

The Red Brake Light also is lit. This may be a separate issue or connected but I changed my Brake Light Switch and it is working correctly but could it be causing the Brake light.

What say you.

By the way I am close to completing this project. All I have left is the back rotors and pads, Brake fluid flush, transmission fluid flush, a full paint correction detail job and some minor wiring issues.

Last edited by majorpeace; 09-27-2012 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Oh yea the Brake Fluid Light came on.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 329 Likes on 266 Posts
2006 S600
There's a few alarm bells going off there, but the short answer is that the rotors should NOT spin freely. The pads are always in light contact.

Replacing the discs & pads may cancel the low brake fluid warning. The level in the brake resevoir goes down as the brakes wear, and will go back up again when you renew them. There shouldn't be any leaks at all.

Be sure to use genuine Mercedes brake pad wear sensors in the pads. The S-class doesn't seem to like copy parts.

Nick