S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

ABC VS 4matic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2012 | 04:16 AM

none
ABC VS 4matic

2003 - 2005 S430 or even S500

In terms of reliability, which is better? ABC or 4matic?
Old 11-20-2012 | 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
you must be referring to airmatic, not 4 matic.

both break, abc is more expensive to repair. Reliability on both is decent if you accept that like any other suspension, parts don't last forever and you don't ignore warnings like the car dropping.
Old 11-20-2012 | 11:09 AM

A Mercedes obviously!
4Matic is the MB name for 4 wheel drive S Classes.

As OliverK says neither are very good.

ABC is the stuff of nightmares when it comes to potential repairs and frankly I wouldn't have bought my 600 if it weren't for a warranty that covered it. Mine has so far behaved itself nicely, only costing me $60 in a replacement suspension filter and $122 for the Star Diagnostic at the dealership to diagnose the issue in my 3yrs of ownership. I'm not cheap when it comes to cars but having a $10,000 repair come out of nowhere isn't fun, particularly when it's down to MB doing a shoddy job of designing the system in the first place. What galls me is that with the W221 the system problems haven't been ironed out and if you want an AMG or 600 you've got no choice but ABC.

Airmatic isn't without issue but it's cheaper at least.
Old 11-20-2012 | 01:34 PM

2005 Mercedes S600, 2004 Mercedes E500 4-Matic, 2002 Mercedes C32 AMG, 2001 Trans-Am WS-6
I've had the pleasure of owning a C32 AMG with the traditional (AMG sport) suspension setup (neither Airmatic nor ABC). I currently have an E500 with airmatic (and 4-Matic) and my S600 with ABC.

I found the C32 was almost tooth rattling stiff. Great for track, ok for daily driving if you're into that sport compact ride. Driving up and down I-355 to and from work, it would oscillate up and down (hugging the road...not suspension float) over the expansion joints at certain speeds (Annoying). I didn't mind it, but my wife did, and long road trips were a little harsh.

I think the airmatic on the E500 is too soft on the comfort/convenience setting (very smooth though). When I drive it, I set it in the sport 2 setting to keep it firm. It's stiff, in a bouncy-sprung sort of way...not always planted, but not as stiff as the C32. The Sport 1 (middle setting) is worthless IMHO. That said, my wife drives it around as her daily driver on comfort setting and absolutely loves it.

I absolutely **LOVE** the ABC setup on my S600. Makes the car drive so much "smaller" than it is. I keep it on the sport setting 99% of the time.
Very firm but with a supple quality that is very controlled and smooth. I'm not saying it's going to hold a candle to smaller cars in the twisties, but there is absolutley NO body lean when you corner...assuming the tires hold traction . This is by far my favorite suspension and would definitely get it on my future car purchases assuming it was an option, despite the issues.

Not sure how else to describe it other than the airmatic I feel is semi-active, and the ABC with hydraulics is more active. Going over rough RR track crossing, the airmatic absorbs some of the shock, but it will still bounce your seat (like riding on high profile tires). With the ABC, you hear the tires hitting the bumps, but your butt doesn't feel a fraction as much, but it is no less stiff...it's a lot more refined and controlled. Hope that makes sense - I think the others who have driven both understand what I'm trying to say.

Reliability wise, I've had no issues at all with the airmatic (@ ~65k miles)...knock on wood.

The ABC (with 105k miles) is a little different. A high pressure line burst at around 85k miles and had to be replaced. The Pentosin hydraulic fluid alone to refill the system was almost $200. The valve block wasn't damaged (thank god), but I have started to hear what I assume is the tandem pump starting to whine lately as it has been getting colder.
Also, if you go the direction of ABC, know that the power steering and suspension circuits are run off the same pump using the same Pentosin fluid (so don't put standard power steering fluid into the resevoir). No big deal if you maintain at the dealer or DIY, but if you're the type to take it to third party oil change places, watch them like a hawk when they top off fluids or you will have an expensive mess on your hands.
Old 11-20-2012 | 04:23 PM

A Mercedes obviously!
Originally Posted by marktan
I absolutely **LOVE** the ABC setup on my S600. Makes the car drive so much "smaller" than it is. I keep it on the sport setting 99% of the time.
Very firm but with a supple quality that is very controlled and smooth. I'm not saying it's going to hold a candle to smaller cars in the twisties, but there is absolutley NO body lean when you corner...assuming the tires hold traction . This is by far my favorite suspension and would definitely get it on my future car purchases assuming it was an option, despite the issues.

Not sure how else to describe it other than the airmatic I feel is semi-active, and the ABC with hydraulics is more active. Going over rough RR track crossing, the airmatic absorbs some of the shock, but it will still bounce your seat (like riding on high profile tires). With the ABC, you hear the tires hitting the bumps, but your butt doesn't feel a fraction as much, but it is no less stiff...it's a lot more refined and controlled. Hope that makes sense - I think the others who have driven both understand what I'm trying to say.
The ABC does indeed do a very good job at keeping a car of the S Class's size handling the way it does. I really enjoy the 270 degree interstate on/off ramps and seeing how fast I can take them!

However, I find the feedback and response it's rather good. You don't feel removed and away from the driving experience like you can on some luxo-barges. It's been a while since I've driven an Airmatic W220 and that was on very different roads/tyres etc. so hard to compare.

I can't find much difference between the Convenience and Sport settings so just leave it in Sport.

I do like ABC from a driving standpoint but the sloppy job MB did at getting it right before putting it in production irks me.
Old 11-20-2012 | 04:33 PM

All Cars Lost To Hurricane Isaac (W124 E420 revived - added 88 Allante 14 S550, 17 S63
having owned a 2002 and 2006 S55 with ABC, I can say that the ability to make a large heavy car handle so nimbly was remarkable.

I recently purchased an S500 with Airmatic. I am now in a confused state as I like the supple ride of the airmatic SO much more... I wonder how much of it is attributted to the low profile aggressive Michelin PS2 tires on the S55's VS the taller michelin primacy? .... I dont yet know how my next S purchase will be equipped.... hmmmmmm

The 02 had an internal valve leak (allowed the high side to leak off over a few days and the car would lower). no other issues

The 06...... never any ABC issues

The S500 (06) only has about 21k miles and is so new mechanically that I can not vouch yet for the Airmatic system reliability - but I tell you the car is smooth and super quiet.
Old 11-20-2012 | 09:05 PM

none
You know how the majority of W220 owners lower their car with lowering links? Are you still able to do that with 4matic? Or can you only do that with ABC? (really my only concern + reliability difference)
Old 11-20-2012 | 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by hoppppa
You know how the majority of W220 owners lower their car with lowering links? Are you still able to do that with 4matic? Or can you only do that with ABC? (really my only concern + reliability difference)
you keep saying 4matic...; 4matic is the ALL WHEEL DRIVE VERSION OF THE CAR. If you are talking about suspension its the wrong term

w220 suspensions are either AIRMATIC or ABC, not 4MATIC.

All 4 MATIC cars have the AIRMATIC suspension.

Please be clear what you are asking about
Old 11-20-2012 | 10:34 PM

none
Originally Posted by tusabes
you keep saying 4matic...; 4matic is the ALL WHEEL DRIVE VERSION OF THE CAR. If you are talking about suspension its the wrong term

w220 suspensions are either AIRMATIC or ABC, not 4MATIC.

All 4 MATIC cars have the AIRMATIC suspension.

Please be clear what you are asking about
Well the listing online says "2003 Mercedes benz S430 4matic"
Old 11-21-2012 | 03:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 SL55, 2010 C63
Yes, you can lower a S430 with links as long as it has ABC. 4Matic or not, don't matter.
Old 11-21-2012 | 07:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by marktan

Very firm but with a supple quality that is very controlled and smooth. I'm not saying it's going to hold a candle to smaller cars in the twisties, but there is absolutely NO body lean when you corner...assuming the tires hold traction . This is by far my favorite suspension and would definitely get it on my future car purchases assuming it was an option, despite the issues.

I was hoping someone would chime in with that statement.

I had a C32, E55, and S600. Road raced them all. Best lap times, C32, BTW.

Anyway, the ABC does indeed have NO body roll. On the Autocross or at the track it does a VERY remarkable job of eliminating body roll.

Down side, if it breaks, it does cost a small 2nd mortgage to fix

PS: Loved my C32 and still miss her. The E55 was a VERY temporary thing. A beast in a straight line, true, but NOT what I needed. Enter the S600 and I will keep this thing until the body rusts out Oh yeah, wife approved to boot
Old 11-22-2012 | 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by hoppppa
Well the listing online says "2003 Mercedes benz S430 4matic"
then that car has AIRMATIC suspension and also 4MATIC all wheel drive.

There were no 4MATIC cars equipped with ABC suspension