S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

I'm a girl with no technical ability and I need help with my S500! Dash is Dark

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 S500
I'm a girl with no technical ability and I need help with my S500! Dash is Dark

First of all...Hello! My name is Allison and I'm new here. So, I apologize if I posted this in the wrong spot or if this topic has already has been discussed already.

Anyhow, I have a 2002 S-500. She's my baby and lives in a temperature controlled garage. I really only drive her on the weekends.

I was on my way home from a dinner party when all of the sudden, the numbers on my odometer went out, meaning there was no lighting behind them. When I pulled into my driveway, the remainder of the lights flickered and then went out.

Any idea what could have caused this? Is it going to cost an arm and a leg to fix?

Thank you so much!
Old 11-07-2012, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 423 Likes on 349 Posts
MB’s
Originally Posted by EternalVacation
First of all...Hello! My name is Allison and I'm new here. So, I apologize if I posted this in the wrong spot or if this topic has already has been discussed already.

Anyhow, I have a 2002 S-500. She's my baby and lives in a temperature controlled garage. I really only drive her on the weekends.

I was on my way home from a dinner party when all of the sudden, the numbers on my odometer went out, meaning there was no lighting behind them. When I pulled into my driveway, the remainder of the lights flickered and then went out.

Any idea what could have caused this? Is it going to cost an arm and a leg to fix?

Thank you so much!
There was a recall on the 220 for the instrument cluster and personally if this keeps up I would look into a indi shop in your area to check it out. The dealer will maybe suggest a new cluster costing thousands.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:00 PM

07 S550 & 05 W220 S500
I don't mean to thread-jack, but what happens if you replace the cluster on w220. If you do that to an e39 the car thinks the mileage has been tampered, showing the tampering dot on the screen. Does anything like that happen on 220s?
Old 11-07-2012, 11:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Mercedes obviously!
Aren't all instrument clusters covered by a 10yr no quibbles MB warranty? I seem to recall something being mentioned about that a while back. I hope you didn't miss the boat, Allison!
Old 11-08-2012, 03:42 PM

2002 S430
See a decent MB dealer as soon as possible. You might be on the borderline between a free and a quite pricey repair (see the previous thread, just about the same problem). The 10 year grace period expired for me in January, and the cluster went off in May. The change cost me 1200 at the dealer. Home repair is possible but experience with electronic boards is needed.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 424 Posts
Mercedes
there was both a recall and an extended warranty
\

the extended warranty is 10 years but
if your VIN is in the recall, it never expires
see
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...ml#post4297972

also dont let MB change it if not for free, it can be done for $300 elsewhere vs $3000 at the dealer
Old 11-12-2012, 09:13 AM

2002 S430
Instrument cluster dark

The instrument cluster is a single unit and has 3 small power devices that were a problem for MB from the start. When mine went dark, I did some research and found that the entire cluster can be removed via the two small slots in the bottom corner (see Youtube video on this). Then there is a single plug on the back to remove and the complete cluster comes out. I found a service on Ebay in Massachusetts that rebuilds the units including 3 new power units. Total cost invcluding shipping was $153. Reinstallation was a breeze. You just need to follow the instructions on the battery reconnect to eliminate trouble lights. If you have a problem with the reconnection you can call the folks in Mass. Address is
BBA Remanufacturing Inc
300 Myles Standish Blvd
Taunton, MA 02780
Tel: (866) 573 - 2740
Fax: (508) 822-4491
www.bba-reman.com
Old 11-12-2012, 09:37 AM

2002 S430
Actually, there is no recall that is in effect and the 10 year extended warranty is out on most of the 2002['s. MB said they might extend the warranty after I got a diagonosis from the dealer but the deler wanted $125 to do the diagnosis with no guarantee that MB would cover the replacement. By the way, the milage etc, is stored in the memory so when you reinstall it, everything is the same. I fabricated my little tool from a metal putty knife to use to remove the cluster--see Youtube for the video.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 s55
Originally Posted by WBrattain
The instrument cluster is a single unit and has 3 small power devices that were a problem for MB from the start. When mine went dark, I did some research and found that the entire cluster can be removed via the two small slots in the bottom corner (see Youtube video on this). Then there is a single plug on the back to remove and the complete cluster comes out. I found a service on Ebay in Massachusetts that rebuilds the units including 3 new power units. Total cost invcluding shipping was $153. Reinstallation was a breeze. You just need to follow the instructions on the battery reconnect to eliminate trouble lights. If you have a problem with the reconnection you can call the folks in Mass. Address is
BBA Remanufacturing Inc
300 Myles Standish Blvd
Taunton, MA 02780
Tel: (866) 573 - 2740
Fax: (508) 822-4491
www.bba-reman.com
I had the same issue with my 2003 and did not want to take a chance at taking it to the dealership and possibly it not be under warranty and charge diagnostic fees if it is not covered. I sent it off to the company listed above and it took a total of about 10 days from the day I shipped it to the day I received it back. I saw their ad on ebay so I purchased and shipped it to them. I believe you can contact them directly and pay with a credit card as well. Best of luck!
Old 11-22-2012, 10:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S430
I had the same problem 3 years ago.Lights at Instruments Cluster went out few times and come back again since one evening same of the Lights ( in Inst. Cluster ) went off and the rest were showing me wrong info , like Time and Temp, and so on. Next day I went to the Dealer and He told me that I was lucky because of the the Recall that MB had. To put a new Instrument Cluster for my S 430, 2001 would cost me $ 1100 . I hope , Alison, that your Car is still in Recall.
Good Luck