S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Inherent ABC Issues/Problems ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CL
Angry Inherent ABC Issues/Problems ???

My 2002 S55 AMG has been misbehaving in its ABC system for a while now. Problem is that the car leans either towards the driver or passenger side front wheel after it has been parked for about 2 weeks. Sometimes, the lean is so bad that the outside of the wheel well partially obscured the top of the tire. So far, the car always levels itself on the first motion forward. It stays level during driving. This problem was first detected last summer (2002). And, the car has been to the dealer 3 times for this problem. Initially the service department recalibrated the ABC. On the second visit (October 2002), a leak was uncovered at one of the ABC actuators/pumps, and this was replaced. During the last service visit for this problem (mid June this year), one of the front hydrualic shocks was detected to be be leaking down and replaced. However, the problem persists. I just noticed it again on 8/1/2003. Car has been sitting in my garage since then. Dealer is supposedly consulting with MB. But, I haven't gotten any definite responese from them yet.

My concern is that this problem will progressively get worse to the point that the inside of the wheel well actually touches the top of the tire, or the chassis won't level out on the first motion forward. An even more drastic scenario is for the ABC to cause the leaning to one wheel to occur during motion, or some other erratic behavior.

Please advise. Let me know if any of you, MB techs or owners, has expeienced the same problem or symptoms. Is it possible that this is an endemic problem in the 2002 ABC system?

Thanks.
Old 08-20-2003, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S 600
ABC has always been a problem. 2001 Cl and S would drop all the way down while moving. Others have had your problems. My ABC has never done that (2001 S600).....I've only had one leak on the rear passenger actuator that was quickly fixed.

If you go back and search old posts here you'll see some have had no problem at all with ABC and others have had continuing nightmares.....go figure?