S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600
View Poll Results: After reading the article do you agree or disagree with this opinion about the S-clas
Yes
53.75%
No
35.00%
Unsure
7.50%
Maybe
3.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Is the Mercedes S-class still the kind of the ring?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2003 | 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Is the Mercedes S-class still the kind of the ring?

MY question to u guys is, is the big daddy benz still the king of the ring. I want u guys to think about a few things and give me an honest non-mercedes-biased response. The Mercedes-S-class, the ultra luxury vehicle that has set standards in quality, reliability, teutonics, style, and a feel of a big car. But for the past 10-15 years the reliablity and quality of this grand car has drop severly! Upin the arrival of the W220 every auto-motive testing company criticized Mercedes for poor use of materials. No longer did this car seem like an ultra luxury machine. Along with that, ur S-class would be in the shop very very frequantly, and here you are spending more than $50,000 on vehicle which you are spending the same amount of time driving it as the same amount of time waiting in the waiting room of ur local dealer. Another key factor that upsets me and perhaps others is the lac of standard features. Lets go over the price here shall we!!!!

Mercedes S430 base MSRP - $73,320
Mercedes S500 base MSRP - $81,720

In the S430 with such a price I think such features as Nappa Leather seating, metalic paint, bi-xenons, headlamp washing system, heated front and rear seats as well as heeated stearing wheel should be standard equipment! Along with that for the price it is the most underpowered car in its class. The least Ive read the S430 clock to 60 is in 7 flat, while the 7 series is hitting 5.9-6.2, the Ls430 at 6.3, the A8 at 6.4, and the Jag XJR can do 5.5!!..........Along with that all those cars come pretty much Fully loaded at that price while the S has like everythign optional.

Now to move to the S500, you have the most powerful car in the ultra luxury category but ur still missing those features that should be standard like metalic paint, bi-xenons, headlamp washing system, heated front and rear seats as well as heeated stearing wheel. And I think at this price the ABC should also be standard equipment and this car can carry a price tag from $5,000-$20,000 more than the other cars in its class.

You guys Although it may not sound like it I love the S-class, but im upset with Mercedes. They have not lived up to there name, and there reputation of the past. When spending this much money I would want a reliable car, a car with better quality inside and out, and a car with more standard features! I only wish that Mercedes would here me, or any others who feel the same way!

Well thanks for readint he article and please answer the poll

-Musfather
Old 08-13-2003 | 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS350
I actually like the 745li better than the s-class. It is IMO really worth the 70-80K pricetag.
Old 08-13-2003 | 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Tezta
I actually like the 745li better than the s-class. It is IMO really worth the 70-80K pricetag.
Cool man yea the 7 series is a fantastic car. Ive driven one, its incredible, and has the features to go with it not to mentin the quality but I heard there are some reliablity issues with this car aswell, but not close to as bad as the S

-Musfather
Old 08-13-2003 | 05:13 PM

The 745 would be king if it looked as good as the mercedes

damned trunk

otherwise its a great car
Old 08-13-2003 | 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS350
the 7 looks a bit off at many angles but once inside, its nothing short of fantastic..plus the 745li has got plenty of room for a little in the back seats.
Old 08-13-2003 | 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You guys quite clearly this is a class that is growing to new limits, and the cars are becoming better and better. Forexample the newest to join is the Maserati, it shouldbe interesting to see how that performs, and the updated LS430. Mercedes really needs to come back to destory these guys, especially witht he reliablity of the LS430 and the fine quality materials used in the A8. I think the next S that comes out hopefully will be all we want. I just hope Mercedes is hearing out cries!!!

-Musfather
Old 08-13-2003 | 09:33 PM

maybe bad for value, but it is the best out of the most just cuz of its image and pricetag. What car would u like to be in in an accident?? I think s-class

Trending Topics

Old 08-13-2003 | 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
I don't own an S-class and most likely will never be able to afford one. But having driven a lot of really expensive cars in my short time on this planet, I would have to say that Mercedes lost their title. I think quality is the MOST important feature of an $80000 car. If you buy a car that expensive, there should be very little that goes wrong with it. Mercedes has, unfortunately, lost it in this catagory. I still, however, think their styling on the S-class is far superior to that of an other luxury car, of it's respective price range, on the market (the new 7 series is just plain stupid looking and so is the LS 430). That's just my 2 cents.
Old 08-13-2003 | 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

marta
Naww.. I think the 7 series is the new king. It has so much road presence everytime I see one and the interior has some pretty cool stuff in it.
Old 08-14-2003 | 12:14 AM
Almost a Member!

The 745i styling grows on you after a while, but at best the exterior leaves me a bit cold, as does the interior styling. Even though I am a bit of a gadget lover, the 7 seems overly complex, and just does not seem to have the raw presence of a Mercedes. The new A8 is very nice, and I happen to like the styling, but it is getting some poor reviews for an overly stiff ride. I loved the prior S8, and the only reason I didn't buy it is because of the boring styling and the fact that the new model was coming out. The XJR looks nice on paper, but the new XJ just doesn't seem to work so well in the styling department, it looks like an overgrown X-type and has lost some of its charm IMO. At the end of the day, the Mercedes still has great styling, and is instantly recognizable. The originator of this thread is not quite correct in saying that quality has dropped over he past 15 years, no one questioned the quality of the previous generation S-class which was built through 1998.

At the end of the day, people buying these cars need to be honest- they are buying these cars as much for status as they are because they are great cars. Few of us need something larger than an E-Class, and if you really want to put a lot of stock in 0-60 times in this price range get an E55 or an M5 (not that I am beyond loving a faster car). The S Class still carries the status of high roller. Pull up in an A8 and people say what is it? Pull up in a 7 and people say "sorry about the trunk." You come close with a Jag, but the S continues to be the status symbol, J.D. Power be damned.
Old 08-14-2003 | 12:27 AM

the depreciation on all these cars is horrible, guess what. your 17 year old punk neighbor spoiled rich kid traded in daddies new 350z graduation gift for a higher mileage 2000 s430, thats about how much its worth. so much for "big ballers"
Old 08-14-2003 | 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Originally posted by apricotscrub
the depreciation on all these cars is horrible, guess what. your 17 year old punk neighbor spoiled rich kid traded in daddies new 350z graduation gift for a higher mileage 2000 s430, thats about how much its worth. so much for "big ballers"
are you talking about yourself?
Old 08-14-2003 | 03:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS350
Originally posted by AlBoston
are you talking about yourself?
Old 08-14-2003 | 11:41 AM

yes al, i am.
you dummie
Old 08-14-2003 | 08:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

No. I do not think it is king anymore. The big body was but not any more. The W220 is everywhere. Also being King means being the first to enter in one's mind when thinking of the ultimate sedan. Not taking into account super sedans (Maybach, Double R's, and etc.) I think the LS430 is the King now.
Old 08-15-2003 | 06:56 AM

2002 S-430
A mercedes will always be a mercedes. I looked at the Lexus, BMW and Mercedes before I bought my S-class.

Lexus: Why would I pay $64,000 for an over priced toyota avalon???? The LS430 is a Avalon with all the luxury features. Doesnt make sense to me.

BMW 7-Series: Car looks great but doesnt appeal to the normal eye. When people see a S-Class they know what it is. When they see a 7-series BMW it takes time to figure out what it is because of the way it looks. Plus with all the gadgets its not really user friendly and also how many of us actually are going to use all those gadgets????

I believe there are two reasons people buy an S-Class. First for the standard. Its like if you have an S-Class you have reached a certain level in your life. Not anyone even in this day and age can afford an S-Class. Secondly people buy the S-Class because of the styling and looks. To me a S-Class looks a hell of a lot better than the 7 Series and not to mention people actually know what a S-Class is.
Old 08-15-2003 | 11:07 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally posted by kiddhan625
A mercedes will always be a mercedes. I looked at the Lexus, BMW and Mercedes before I bought my S-class.

Lexus: Why would I pay $64,000 for an over priced toyota avalon???? The LS430 is a Avalon with all the luxury features. Doesnt make sense to me.

This sir, shows a very ignorant side of you opinion. I'm at school right now so Idon't have time to refute your argument, howeve when I get home I will give you some things

BMW 7-Series: Car looks great but doesnt appeal to the normal eye. When people see a S-Class they know what it is. When they see a 7-series BMW it takes time to figure out what it is because of the way it looks. Plus with all the gadgets its not really user friendly and also how many of us actually are going to use all those gadgets????

You do know (IMO and experiance) Mercedes' vehicles have more features such as Keyless Go? A 16 Second droptop? etc.

I believe there are two reasons people buy an S-Class. First for the standard. Its like if you have an S-Class you have reached a certain level in your life. Not anyone even in this day and age can afford an S-Class. Secondly people buy the S-Class because of the styling and looks. To me a S-Class looks a hell of a lot better than the 7 Series and not to mention people actually know what a S-Class is.

Yes almost anyone can get one. Look at apriscotclub (No offense) He is a student and has one. Quite a feat! That does prove however that the S-Class isn't all what it seems. Styling I do agree with you though. Lexus looks quite conservitive and the 7Series is too radical for the "Ultimate Driving Machine."

Old 08-15-2003 | 12:36 PM

The fact that the 2000 S class can be bought by a 17 year old means nothing. The 740iL is even more affordable. Look at the 2000 S430 vs. the 2000 740iL. At equal mileage with equivalent options the Kelly Blue Book retail value on the Benz is $6,000 higher.

BTW Vraa you're still off base. MB may have features such as keyless go but nothing that gets in the way of the functionality of the car. iDrive is a joke, even simplified. I hope that MB NEVER goes that direction. I would've expected that out of Lexus or possibly even MB before BMW... BMW traditionally has always been function over form, nothing that diluted the driving experience. They blew THAT axiom out of the water with their latest cars. They may still have handling dynamics that are superb but they've gone from being driving machines to technology and styling showcases.
Old 08-15-2003 | 01:04 PM
Almost a Member!

When I bought my car, the one that I wanted already had Keyless Go. I thought it would be a ridiculous gadget, but I absolutely love it. I keep the transponder in my wallet, and never take out a key. I would probably buy it on all my future Benzes.

On the other hand, it takes some effort to get into the 7 series and just drive, it has quite the learning curve. With the limited time I have spent in it, I just don't understand how iDrive is "better." I really wanted to like the 7, especially with the good lease rates and the Euro delivery discount, but it is just too compromised a car visually and ergonomically.

As for the LS430, the styling is perfectly and completely boring. The doors like like they came of a previous generation S class, and the front and back look grafted on. I did not find it a revelation in quietness or driving ability as some people say, and the high center console makes it feel less spacious than the S. It looks like a car for older, sensible people to drive. The switchgear inside screams Toyota to me, and although the other materials are good, the overall shapes and forms say "Camry" to me. It feels like a copy, albeit a good one, and just doesn't seem to have much originality.

Last edited by anon; 08-15-2003 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-15-2003 | 01:53 PM

Originally posted by vraa
Yes almost anyone can get one. Look at apriscotclub (No offense) He is a student and has one. Quite a feat! That does prove however that the S-Class isn't all what it seems
lol, thanks man!
Old 08-15-2003 | 02:30 PM

2006 Mercedes E350 Sport
new 7... yuck , old 7... YEAH :p. 01' 740 is much better looking and much more classy. New 7 is following the Nissan trend- downgrading in quality and making it look to futuristic.
Old 08-15-2003 | 08:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally posted by kaneman
BTW Vraa you're still off base.
Yes I am. I didn't think about that. Thanks for the correction.

The fact that the 2000 S class can be bought by a 17 year old means nothing. The 740iL is even more affordable. Look at the 2000 S430 vs. the 2000 740iL. At equal mileage with equivalent options the Kelly Blue Book retail value on the Benz is $6,000 higher.
Does this mean money doesn't matter? I'm just throwing stuff out in this post. Nothing from my side just my thoughts.

This is the main one. And I do apoligize in advance for the personal attack. I was in a class in which I loathe the teacher. I shouldn't have taken it out on someone else.

The LS430 is not simply a over priced Avalon. Even though both can be called Toyota's (Hey, I'm happy my toyota has better build quality, and ride comfort, and can be a tad bit faster than a S430) the Lexus is still able to take the crown and at the same time be cheaper.
Old 08-15-2003 | 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You know if people by an S-class to show off, to show others that there at some level, thats pathetic. I hate it when people try to show off and be like i have this and that and you dont. I dont care if I drive a Toyota. just like Vraa said, if that toyota has better built quality, ride, features, reliability, value, and is cheaper than the s430, why not go for it.

-Musfather
Old 08-15-2003 | 11:11 PM

W211
In my opinion...it doesnt matter "who can buy the s class..." i mean if a car is great its great... I like the s-class comparing to its competition(Lexus LS430 and Bmw 745) Because the body is sooo elegant compared to the other cars and the lines are just sooooo sleek and smooth....the lines of the car just flow...the lexus and bmw are way too bulkey and angular..just my opinion
Old 08-16-2003 | 01:10 PM

Exclamation

I don't want to argue with anyone so I'll say I agree with all of you! I don't really care who's the "KING." All that matters is who you think is the king and be happy! To me the S-class is outdated, but it's design is more cleaner and elegant! The Lexus is nice, but there's just something missing!!! The Bimmer is also very nice, but once again my complaints are.... the fish-tail rear end, eye browl headlights, no M version available, and the stupid plastic shifter on the steering column! For pete's sake I'm not an old geezer and am 100% able to handle an M powered car and a console shifter! I am just awaiting the debut the the W221 S-class and see if it breaks the barrier! I am also waiting for a revived BMW 8-series and a super-lux Bimmer without the RR nameplate! Just my 2 cents!! I guess we'll have to wait and see!

DOMINIC

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is the Mercedes S-class still the kind of the ring?