S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Brand new and proud owner of my first Benz (S430) - some questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 S430
Brand new and proud owner of my first Benz (S430) - some questions

Hello everyone, I'm delighted to join this forum as a fellow Mercedes owner and share my experiences and whatnot with everyone.

I own a black '01 S430 (posted some pics) with ADS/heated seats/sunshade and I probably forgot some other packages.

I have some questions I'd like to be clarified:

1. Is there any reason or circumstance for me to touch the airmatic suspension button? (the one that has an arrow pointing up in the car) it's been off ever since I started driving the car.

2 .My ADS has 3 settings, convenience (no lights), sports 1 (1 light), and sports 2 (2 lights). I like to play with them and see which setting I like the most, but could never fully figure out which one is the best in terms of ride quality and cornering, some help with this?

3. This habit comes from changing pick-up trucks I drove from 2W to 4W, and pretty much when I switch to winter mode to standard mode and vice versa I put the car in park/neutral and then change it, I do the same with the ADS (although I started tinkering it mid-drive, is that bad?)

4. This is more of a slight confusion/problem for me, the button that is supposed to fold the mirrors in seems to get stuck kind of and I need to press the button a couple of times for the mirror to fold in and also the right one does not even fold. The option the multifunction screen gives me to let the mirror fold themselves when I turn the car off also doesn't seem to do anything. I'm baffled.

5. I'm disliking the blurry outdated headlight unit my car has, I researched a bit and found that the '03 clear headlights fit the '01, is this absolutely true? And if it is, can someone provide a purchase link of the '03 headlights? Mine are Xenon HID's btw.

6. I got a bit discouraged when I found out the only way to play my own music is to burn CD's and throw them in CD changer located in the trunk. Is there a DIY project to install an Aux? I have the Comand 2.5 if that helps

Thank you in advance for all the answers, they are greatly appreciated!

Last edited by dani27692; 04-21-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 350 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
1. The button causes the car to lift about two inches. I do that to help get onto the service rack and on the (very rare) occasions that I go thru the car wash. You would also use it if you go off-road or use tire chains.

2. I think of the settings as normal, firm and very firm. I run mine on normal. If I ever get into some sporty driving, I will go firmer.

3) AFAIK, the suspension setting can be changed at any time. It just electrically changes valving in the struts.

4) I don't remember ever seeing any option to control the mirror folding individually. I would suspect that you have a broken wire in the right mirror.

5) If you replace your headlamps, be careful to ensure that you get headlamps that have the auto level controls. You need to do some research to make sure that you understand the different types of lights available - halogen, halogen/HID mix, Bi-Xenon - and what you gain or lose by changing.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
I agree with Wallyp on the individual mirrors folding in. Don't think that is an option. However, on number 4 there is an option in the command center that allows you to tilt the passenger side mirror down when you put the car in reverse so that you can see the curb much better. Also, if you use the mirror fold in option it only works when you lock the car not just turn it off.

One more nice thing you might not have noticed is that you can control the temperature of the rear controls from the front. Just push in the temperature fan button (don't click it upwards) and it will display the rear fan controls. It only allows displays for a short period so you have to do it rather quickly. I suppose this feature is on the S430 as it is on the S500.

Enjoy your new ride and stay tuned to this forum. Lots of very helpful information here and some very knowledgeable folks who will save you plenty of money.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:09 PM

2001 S430
Not exactly sure what you mean with the rear controls, is it the fan button in the middle or the temperature ones beside it? Because if I press the fan control it will go to automatic fan or manual
Old 04-22-2013, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
You have to push the fan button (the one between the two temperature button) in and it will display the temp of the controls in the rear.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 350 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
Not all S-Class cars have rear HVAC controls...
Old 04-26-2013, 07:05 PM

S500
Congrats on your new ride!