S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Tie rod plus

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500 4 matic
Tie rod plus

Hey guys i have a question. I have a groaning sound coming from driver side front of car while driving. It has progressed from hearing it at around 2000 rpm from driving from complete stop. To hearing it and feeling it in left foot well more often than before. Some one here said it might be the motor mount? I took car to mec and was told driverside tie rod is bad. The question is would that cause the symtoms i explained. Also would you agree that i should change both inner and outter tie rods on both sides to make them new all around? What else should i do/ change since im under there.

This might be somethig else as well.Well i was driving this week end and while i stopped in parking lot smelled something strange like burning something. And it is coming from my car. I checked and it is not coming frim engine compartment so i got on the ground and it got stronger underneath car. I have no clue if what it could be. Thanks guys
Old 04-23-2013, 03:43 PM

2002 S430
The groaning noise between 0 - 2k rpm refers more to engine mount(s) than tie rod.
Jack up the car and test the wheel by hand trying to 'steer'. If it feels loose or knocks, the tie rod end is likely the problem. But I woud investigate further the mounts.

The smell can come from some road grime you picked up and now burning on the exhaust, if so it will go away. I had such an affair with a plastic bag.
Worse if you have a transmission oil leak dripping on hot parts. Must be checked.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:05 PM

S500 4 matic
Originally Posted by trombone
The groaning noise between 0 - 2k rpm refers more to engine mount(s) than tie rod.
Jack up the car and test the wheel by hand trying to 'steer'. If it feels loose or knocks, the tie rod end is likely the problem. But I woud investigate further the mounts.

The smell can come from some road grime you picked up and now burning on the exhaust, if so it will go away. I had such an affair with a plastic bag.
Worse if you have a transmission oil leak dripping on hot parts. Must be checked.

Thanks for the respose.... The driver side tie rod is bad i checked it yesterday i am thinking i should change both inner and outer tie rods on both sides to make everything new.

Is there a way i can check motor mount before i take it to my mechanic???

Ok i will check for tranny leak i never though about than.... Thanks man i will keep the forum updated on progress because i am doing some work on car;

1 new rotors and pads
2 tie rods inner and outer on both sides
3 vale intake seals replaced
4 new tires
5 cabin filter and charcoal filter
6 oil change

( possible motor mounts replacement if needed?)$$$$$$$$$
Old 04-23-2013, 06:29 PM

2002 S430
Hard to advise on tie rods, when mine went bad (outer) I only changed one and still waiting for the other to go. I now I ran into an ugly pot hole and the driver side wheel got a big kick.
The inners were also OK.

Generally they say you should change the pair, but in this particular case I did not see any reason to change the good one.

It is also true that the inners are cheaper, so it is not much of an extra cost to change those as well.

The engine mounts are filled with a jelly-like liquid, and it goes bad twhen the liquid leaks.
Check for the leak, it looks like water on the garage floor and it does not evaporate quick. If the mount is messy, it is probably leaking. Easier to check on the hoist where they can lift the engine block and extra half inch.