Sunroof removal - help and advice needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 03:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 S320
Sunroof removal - help and advice needed

Hi there.
Im about to embark on the adventure of replacing the sunroof in my car and need your help!
Its a 1999 W220 S320 and the current sunroof has rusted, leaks and the cables have broken. Ive sourced a complete replacement sunroof from the UK which has now arrived. Ive removed everything I can see that holds the head lining in place and have loosened the 6 screws holding the glass in place. As I drive the car regularly, Ive reached the point where if I go any further, I wont be able to drive the car if I get stuck hence the need for advice.
I assume that when I remove the glass, Ill be able to see the screws that hold the head lining in place around the sunroof opening. Is this correct?
If so, and these are removed, will I be able to remove the head lining out of the car via one of the doors without damaging it or does the windscreen or rear glass need to be removed to do so?
With the head lining out the way, whether out of the car or resting on the upholstery, is the sunroof just bolted in place or welded in?
Will the sunroof come out of the car through one of the doors?
Anything else that I need to know before I continue or should I hand the car over to a repairer?
Old 05-30-2013, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
Maybe this video might help you. I know this is a W202 video but at least it tells you some things to look out for.

Last edited by ibeforreal; 05-30-2013 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Forgot something.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 S320
Unfortunately the clip isn't of much help although thank you. With the sunroof closed as the cables have snapped, I'm unable to open it to get to anything but the bracket screws which the clip indicates not to touch. Another clip on YouTube shows how to remove these same bracket screws, located on the sides behind the bellows, to remove the glass. I can't see any other way of accessing the fastening of the head lining around the sunroof hole without removal of the glass.
I still need the help of any person to tell me if the head lining and sunroof can be removed via one of the car doors or will I need the windscreen removed to do so and if the sunroof is welded in place please?
Old 06-02-2013, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 479 Likes on 425 Posts
Mercedes
No it's not welded in place and yes it comes out of the doors

The sunroof is a "cartridge"

The w126 guys swap w140 sunroofs into their cars , check here for more tutorial
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126...into-w126.html

Ask someone there if you have questions , very few w220 guys will know anything about sunroof removal