S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

CD Changer: "Device Unavailable" - manual eject of magazine?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 06:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Mercedes obviously!
CD Changer: "Device Unavailable" - manual eject of magazine?

Whilst switching between CDs today I got a "Device Unavailable" flash up on COMAND and now get no music played from anything in the CDC. I did a quick search and didn't see anything referring to a Device Unavailable warning.

I have a feeling that a CD has got stuck in the system but am unable to get it out. Had a little tinker with it but didn't want to make things worse. When I press the eject button there is a beep but nothing much seems to happen then. Is there a trick to getting the cartridge/magazine to eject? Wasn't sure if there was some kind of manual eject feature.

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2013, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 350 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
The magazine eject is done electrically - no power, no ejection. Perhaps faulty fuse, perhaps audio system or changer needs a reset...
Old 08-06-2013, 11:04 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
slide a thin piece of plastic or cardboard between the magazine and cd changer on the bottom and it will pop out
Old 08-06-2013, 12:59 PM

A Mercedes obviously!
Originally Posted by wallyp
The magazine eject is done electrically - no power, no ejection. Perhaps faulty fuse, perhaps audio system or changer needs a reset...
There is a beep coming from the system when I press the eject button but nothing happens which to me suggests there is at least power going to it. Also if it's on the same circuit as the navigation disc changer that seems to be working quite happily.

How would I reset the changer?

Originally Posted by shardul
slide a thin piece of plastic or cardboard between the magazine and cd changer on the bottom and it will pop out
Nice! I'll try that when I'm at the car next, thanks!
Old 08-10-2013, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E320
Red face CD Changer

I am new to this forum. We just inherited E320 2004. Says we have CDC - five or six discs. Can't figure out how to insert. Got one in ------ but no more.

Where is CD magazine?
Old 08-10-2013, 10:57 PM

A Mercedes obviously!
I managed to sort mine out. A slide a credit card in the gap all around the CDC magazine and it didn't appear to do anything but a few seconds after I removed it it bleeped and then slide out with all six discs in the little holders. I removed each one then replaced them and put it back and everything seems A-OK now.

Originally Posted by justusonwheels
I am new to this forum. We just inherited E320 2004. Says we have CDC - five or six discs. Can't figure out how to insert. Got one in ------ but no more.

Where is CD magazine?
Welcome! You'll want to check out the W211 forum.
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211-20/
Old 08-11-2013, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 350 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
"Where is CD magazine? "

Look in the trunk for a small turnbutton release on a door in the trunk lining. Inside, you should find the CD changer. There is a small button just below the magazine - push it, and the magazine should pop out. Note which way the magazine goes in!

Pull the small plastic hooks on the open side of the magazine to insert CDs. You can often find extra magazines on eBay. You can burn audio CDS on your computer to make your own mix of tunes, and to fill the CD for longer play. While you can try, it isn't likely to be able to play MP3 CDs.