NEED HELP!! Is this my timing belt?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
NEED HELP!! Is this my timing belt?

Hey guys, having a big issue.

I was gonna take the family car out for a golf rounding but I was never even able to leave the drive way.

I turned the car on and then a weird sound started emitting from the engine area. I opened the hood and saw that the "belt" part, a portion of it, came out of the little circle pulleys.

I would be extremely stupid to drive with that out, i at least know that.

The question is, has anyone ever experienced this/does somebody know what the problem is? Is this a "drive belt tensioner pulley" problem and how much it costs to fix?

Im looking for authorized repair shops to get this fixed. Im assuming going to the dealership would drain my pockets.

Its unfortunate because we bought this car brand new in 2000 (its a 2000 s430) and put only 40k miles in.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
ack.

That is your serpentine belt, not a timing belt. these engines do not have timing belts, they use timing chains.

What happened here is that your harmonic dampner has separated. They are two pieces with a piece of rubber sandwiched. Once that bond breaks, the pieces can separate, leaving you with what you see.

You will need a new harmonic dampner. There was a tsb or recall on this (i believe it was a tsb and only valid for certain vins).

Nevertheless, the harmonic dampner is cheap http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...nic%20Balancer

You'll also need a new bolt and I'd probably replace the belt.

Now then, the big concern is that the dampner broke anything else when it separated. You'll need to inspect the oil pan and timing cover for damage.

Best case, you're out for about $110 plus labor.

Worst case, you need to replace a timing cover or oil pan for what likely won't be less than $700-$1000.

Fairly common issue btw.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:47 AM

C300
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
ack.

That is your serpentine belt, not a timing belt. these engines do not have timing belts, they use timing chains.

What happened here is that your harmonic dampner has separated. They are two pieces with a piece of rubber sandwiched. Once that bond breaks, the pieces can separate, leaving you with what you see.

You will need a new harmonic dampner. There was a tsb or recall on this (i believe it was a tsb and only valid for certain vins).

Nevertheless, the harmonic dampner is cheap http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...nic%20Balancer

You'll also need a new bolt and I'd probably replace the belt.

Now then, the big concern is that the dampner broke anything else when it separated. You'll need to inspect the oil pan and timing cover for damage.

Best case, you're out for about $110 plus labor.

Worst case, you need to replace a timing cover or oil pan for what likely won't be less than $700-$1000.

Fairly common issue btw.
Wow very thorough. Thank you!

Its a big discerning to see that the range could be 110-1000 though.

I'll be calling my dealership to see how much they'll kill me with. Hopefully it won't be too much.

Last edited by panda.man90; 08-12-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by panda.man90
Wow very thorough. Thank you!

Its a big discerning to see that the range could be 110-1000 though.

I'll be calling my dealership to see how much they'll kill me with. Hopefully it won't be too much.
First things first. When you call the shop, ask if there is a tsb/recall on this and if so, does your vin fall within the specified range.

If the car is not included in that range and the dealer won't work with you, you should find a good indy mechanic.

There is absolutely no reason to pay a dealer $150 an hour as well as paying for the OEM balancer (approx $300 at full list) for what is an incredibly simple procedure. Legitimately, you remove the crank bolt, slide off the balancer, and put a new one on...tighten bolt. You need 1 special tool and a lot of torque, but this is perfect for an indy.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:54 AM

C300
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
First things first. When you call the shop, ask if there is a tsb/recall on this and if so, does your vin fall within the specified range.

If the car is not included in that range and the dealer won't work with you, you should find a good indy mechanic.

There is absolutely no reason to pay a dealer $150 an hour as well as paying for the OEM balancer (approx $300 at full list) for what is an incredibly simple procedure. Legitimately, you remove the crank bolt, slide off the balancer, and put a new one on...tighten bolt. You need 1 special tool and a lot of torque, but this is perfect for an indy.
Any advice on a good shop in Maryland? I know thats reaching with you being in NJ and all
Old 08-12-2013, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 160 Posts
SL55, S500
5-10 min to change it.

Maybe less.

My shop did it for free when I got an oil change or something.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
Maybe this video will help you.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:31 AM

C300
Originally Posted by ibeforreal
Thanks for the vid ibeforreal. Im not sure if its the belt issue or the dampner issue like others are saying.

I called up my dealer yesterday to see if my car falls under the recall and they said that it was replaced in 2006 so it looks like i'll be paying for this out of pocket.

Does anybody know any good indy mechanics in the MD area they could vouch for? Really don't want to take it to the dealership after you all told me that it shouldnt be an expensive fix. I feel as if the dealership might charge out the *** for something simple.