S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

interesting article on ABC must see

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 05:36 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 S63
Originally Posted by Dadunn06
Unfortunately, my abc red light came on, it's now in the repair shop. They told me the pump is $1,700. Can anyone comment on if that price sounds about right?
Yes, thats about list price. You can find them on the internet for about $1,000.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:57 PM

2017 S63
OK here is the Magnom Mini installed

It's installed without any problems that I can tell. The attached pics show the adapters I used at each end (blue and black). I used a common adaptor and then used a barb fitting at each end, one of them at an angle. Both straights would have worked as well. The idea was to mount the inline magnetic filter and still allow easy access to the power steering fill and dipstick below this filter.

The barb fitting is for 1/2 inch ID rubber pipe. Our ABC return hose is slightly larger than that so someone else might want to use slightly larger barb fittings on theirs and push the hose on tight. That would probably reduce any risk of a narrower return especially noticeable on the angled adaptor shown that seems a bit skinny.
I still don't know the thread sizes or pitches but all these adapters fit together well and were located at a regular high performance auto store.
Filter is I think $109 (I got a used one on ebay for $25), and the fittings about $40.

interesting article on ABC must see-photo-1.jpg

interesting article on ABC must see-photo-3.jpg two of these

interesting article on ABC must see-photo-4.jpg one of these

interesting article on ABC must see-photo-2-2.jpg one of these

Last edited by jnash; 03-02-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 424 Posts
Mercedes
How much were those fittings and the filter ?
Old 03-02-2014, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 329 Likes on 266 Posts
2006 S600
Originally Posted by jnash
I have the "Mini" Magnom. You guys are all worrying too much. If you ever have observed the flow rate during a rodeo flush you would have observed that the flow rate is low, and with low return pressure. The "Mini" is large enough for the low pressure return line of ABC and is rated to 700 bar. Any larger and it would be hard to fit inside the engine bay nicely.
I think the reason that the flow rate is low (which is also my observation) is that the return to the reservoir is only a proportion of the total circulating flow, perhaps a small proportion at that.

The return pipe only carries the oil coming from the cooler, which takes oil from the ABC oil thermostat (near the front valve block). I presume that the ABC 'stat splits its output between a direct return, and an indirect return via the cooler.

I don't know at what temp the stat opens, but when ABC isn't working hard, I presume most of the flow by-passes the cooler and goes straight back to the pump. Therefore in a typical domestic DIY-flush situation, I guess what we see is only a small proportion of the total recirculating flow, and the flow is higher when we drive hard.

Nick
Old 03-02-2014, 08:46 PM

2017 S63
Originally Posted by Welwynnick
I think the reason that the flow rate is low (which is also my observation) is that the return to the reservoir is only a proportion of the total circulating flow, perhaps a small proportion at that.

The return pipe only carries the oil coming from the cooler, which takes oil from the ABC oil thermostat (near the front valve block). I presume that the ABC 'stat splits its output between a direct return, and an indirect return via the cooler.

I don't know at what temp the stat opens, but when ABC isn't working hard, I presume most of the flow by-passes the cooler and goes straight back to the pump. Therefore in a typical domestic DIY-flush situation, I guess what we see is only a small proportion of the total recirculating flow, and the flow is higher when we drive hard.

Nick
The flow rate ls low even when you do a rodeo observed during a system flush and thats when a full lowering occurs sequentially at every strut. The oil only returns back during a depression of each strut. On normal driving with lots of smaller strut travel but at a higher road suspension frequency i doubt its any more than a rodeo.