S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Just converted my ABC Suspension to Strutmasters Coil Overs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 S600
Originally Posted by x2nervisx
That is correct. Unless you replace the dual pump with a standard steering pump from an airmatic equipped w220.

I have an issue with this right now. I did the strutmaster conversion on my 2001 s600 couple weeks ago and i'm happy with the ride. But a week ago the ps pump went and i can clearly see it leaking there. Strutmaster assured me before i bought the kit that i wouldnt need to change the pump and i'll be calling them about this but at this point i do need to replace it. I wanted to avoid a repeat so im looking into fitting in the standard ps pump from an airmatic but Im not sure if it'll fit fine. The pulley is different and so is the belt that'd go with it.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'd really appreciate the help
Old 08-31-2018, 10:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'13 ML63 P30
As far as I know, you can fit the standard PS pump from a non ABC car. Everything should fit.

The reason why your old pump died is because it had no fluid in the ABC section of the tank.
Old 08-31-2018, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 S600
Originally Posted by micky_fl
As far as I know, you can fit the standard PS pump from a non ABC car. Everything should fit.

The reason why your old pump died is because it had no fluid in the ABC section of the tank.
on the 2001 s600 it's a bit different from everything I came across...on the m137 the ABC high pressure line gets in the way and its 1 piece going around the transmission so taking it out as a whole requires a ton of work. Since theres no pressure in the system I cut the end part where it interferes with the ps only pump

I looped the lines and topped up the fluid but there was a leak one where I guess so the tandem pump failed.

I went to a local hydraulic shop and they're fabbing up a small hose to make up for the space difference...we'll see how it goes
Old 06-13-2019, 10:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2005 Ben cl500
Foglight

Originally Posted by llcoolbenz
Very nice. Looks great. I've recently changed mine. From matte black to yellow.

I would like to know where u got the fog light and wht kind are those , bought one similar to Thts and they blinks . Any info will be appreciated
Old 06-13-2019, 10:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2005 Ben cl500
Tell me

Originally Posted by Awilson85
I just bought this car and have the same rear end height issue the strutmaster conversion was already done luckily....my mechanic advised to cut one coil off from the rear to level it out so thats what we'll be doing this weekend. 20" wheels btw

So tell me did u cut one spring off the strut and how is the rear sitting now , I’m thinking abt doing the same .
Old 06-14-2019, 06:41 PM

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
2003 S430 , 2002 CL500 , 2007 S550, 2003 Yukon Denali XL
Those are Samsung LED lights. I think H1s.....whatever the factory size is. But the resistance is enough on them that they don’t cause the typical blinking of a LED conversion. My rear had eventually settled a bit. But that is on 22’s. So the gap isn’t horrible. If your gap is more than you like....cutting the spring is always an option.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:45 PM

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
001 s600, 94 sl600
Active suspension Infiniti Q45a

Infiniti Q45a 1989-1995 had their 'active suspension in the U.S. I was the 'go to guy' in the U.S. (and the rest of the world too) keeping these cars 'active.' They were fantastic performers and handled like a Lotus and felt like driving a Lotus Eclat. There were design related maintenance issues. Nissan used the wrong type of 'accumulators; for the service. Automotive suspension is a 'high cycle' application.and Nissan used a 'floating piston' instead of a diaphragm like Citroen had proven so well. The 'floating piston' lost a few molecules of the nitrogen pre-charge gas with every move of the suspension. They would 'go flat' in 30-50 K miles resulting to a 'solid axle' type of ride. Nissan did not make the accumulators available as a replacement part (like everyone else did), nor did they provide 'recharging valves' like Citroen did. Replacing the 4 struts to restore the smooth ride was a $5000 + repair. IF replacement accumulators had been sold (for say $1000 for 4 installed ( a two hour job max) they would have been a roaring success. No other repairs were usually required if the oil was changed every 30K miles as recommended and the accumulators replaced when near flat. Not maintaining but continuing to drive caused the suspension controlling valves to wear out as they were working 10 times faster than normal attempting to counteract every little bump reaching the body of the car.

Originally Posted by Jack_88
I agree 100% about keeping the ABC working, wouldn't be the same car without it. I will note that I felt my prior D4 A8 was the more nimble car, but didn't ride as quietly or smooth(seriously, those A8's are really planted, though.) Toyota had their active suspension in the mid 90's, but it didn't sell that well due the expense, and wasn't available outside of Japan, if I recall. Reportedly, it worked quite well.

Sounds like the two of you need to get in the same shop, and have them swap your suspensions around, Doe.
Old 12-13-2020, 11:50 AM
KA8

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by PrimalLunch
digging the conversion - did it myself, less hate towards a much improved car

So w215 yellow speed coilovers works on w220??
Old 02-16-2023, 10:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S500
Back to AirMatic

Made the switch back to original AirMatic system. Decided this in 2019, and have been pleased with the results. Coil overs were decent, but I drive enough that it made a difference to me, to have that luxury comfort, as the lumps and bumps of everyday life were getting to me - the difference between coil/gas strut and coil/air pressure is enough that it makes the difference when the slightest difference in road conditions is felt as well as heard. It’s acceptable, or was, as I had made the swap and was enjoying the car after it being down for two months. After a year it was apparent that the initial joy had worn off, and I was missing the soft transition from street to gas station, or the way specific sections of Southern California freeways felt and sounded, some of it is just awful, but the air system excels at being the quieter, softer feel, and I went back to the original system.

the stance remains the same, as I used ride height links to set the height to my needs, and the system accepts the ride height as normal, very simple to do.

Having said and done this, I’m sitting with 240,000 miles on the clocks, and going strong. Have a gently used set of Yellow Speed Coil Overs for sale, if anyone is interested.

W220 S500

W220 S500

W220 S500

04 W220 S500