S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Goodbye front suspension squeak on W220.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S320 CDI
Goodbye front suspension squeak on W220.

I had a front suspension squeak that cleared in wet weather. Now, with the dryer weather the squeak is back. One of my front air suspension units developed an oil leak and a replacement was ordered from a scrap yard (Manchester UK). Car on the ramp to change the unit and, would you believe it, a bolt sheared off the top suspension arm; that changed the price of the job quite a bit. None in stock at parts supplier so car stuck on ramp until the next day. During the work it was found that the squeak is nothing to do with the suspension but a small linkage, 6" aprox long, to an electronic box fixed to the chassis (self levelling?). Both ends are ball - socket joints and both were seized. Scrap yard says buy new ones so ring Mercedes, as only they supply this part, and order two new ones. Cost is nearly £50 (do get some trade discount) and delivery will be in a few days as they have to get some. Fitting the new ones can be done without taking the wheels off but you need the ramp at the right height. Mercedes part number is A 220 320 03 89 they are not handed so you need two of these. About a 20 min. job once you have got at them.

I am aware a question has been asked before about this but it seems there is no way to search a particular forum; I am only interested in W220 S Type. Mine is a 320 CDI. I live in the UK.