S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Shifter stuck again

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 S430
Shifter stuck again

Two years ago I had the “stuck-in-park” malady, and I fixed it thru the forum routine.
I glued the parts of the broken blocker using high strength epoxy and aluminum reinforcement on the sides.

Last week the shift got difficult, I quickly bought a new blocker on ebay and a brake light switch, just in case.
I was wondering if my epoxy was not as strong as I thought.

I opened shifter box and our little favorite was found guilty again.
Broken, but not at the same old place, but a little higher up at the neck ( picture intended, upload may not work). The glue and the aluminum splints held tight.

Apparently, fixing the blocker itself only makes sense, if you glue the aluminum reinforcement all along the thin plastic. Otherwise, do what many of the forum members did, either get a new part or simply remove the blocker for good.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 479 Likes on 425 Posts
Mercedes
Just remove it completely .

Not being able to shift out of park is a kids safety feature . I much prefer being able to shift out of park without the key and when the car isn't running , for towing or moving purposes if your battery dies. The shifter also locks in park with a dead battery , so removing this piece entirely is a good idea for older cars , unless you have kids who may touch it
Old 05-11-2014, 04:37 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Range Rover
Just get rid of it