Trunk handle has a mind of its own

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz S350 W220
Trunk handle has a mind of its own

Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone else had this problem where the trunk handle that pops out when you pop the trunk stays on there.... Sometimes it doesn't even come out. Sometimes it comes out after the trunk is closed and stays like that. It's as though it has a mind of its own. Nowadays I'm even facing trouble with the unlock button on the trunk. It presses fine but does not release the trunk... I have to either use the control button on the driver side door or use the key remote. Does anyone know what could be the problem

PS: I just all this working a month back after putting in a new PSE. The locks etc work fine... But the headrests are an issue. Now the trunk handle is a bit weird.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:58 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Mercedes SL63 AMG; Mercedes E63 AMG S 4matic; Mercedes C43 AMG; Mercedes S Class, Mercedes GLK
I had a similar problem

It was the cable that ran to the latch in the trunk. MB dealer told me was a known issue. Apparently there isn't much slack in the wiring so overtime it stretches and eventually breaks. It acts like it has a mind of it's own for the last little bit before it completely stops working because the connection is inconsistent (an electrical short) each time. Not sure if yours would be the same, but replacing the cable fixed my issue. I had the dealer fix it, but could be a diy project.

James
Old 05-19-2014, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S500; 1991 300SL
Mine was doing that but is was due to dirt in the mechanism. Lots of WD40 spraying alleviated the problem.