S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

The Lexus LS430 How can you even compare it

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 E55 AMG
Why the heck do some of you guys say "american, japenese, etc.." cars are inferior? Does it really matter what kind of car you like?
Old 12-30-2003, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

marta
Originally posted by MB AMG
What`s wrong with Toyota? They are a very good company as well as Mercedes! God, that ENARANG is a f***** a******!
Some people just can't get that through their heads. We haven't been bashing Mercedes, just trying to answer the question of this thread, "The Lexus LS430, how can you even compare it?"
Old 12-30-2003, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 E55 AMG
Originally posted by ajayz
Some people just can't get that through their heads. We haven't been bashing Mercedes, just trying to answer the question of this thread, "The Lexus LS430, how can you even compare it?"
Ok, ok. It`s your personal preferance.
Old 12-30-2003, 04:16 PM
Guest0001

Originally posted by ajayz
Lexus does copy, but maybe MB can also take a few notes from them on quality and reliability.
Definitely. I love Mercedes-Benz but they have to get there **** together.

For the price you pay for the cars their should be absolutely nothing that goes wrong. They also have to start using better interior materials and a decent sound system.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:27 PM

Lexus GS 450h
You know Noble, the C320 has never won any awards or any comparisons against the IS 300. Something to think about. The IS has won a couple of comparisons, the C320, never, none. It is outperformed by the IS/3/G35 and outluxed by the TL/ES/A4.

It's a fine average car but that is all.

Lexus copies? Hell yes, like every car maker, every BUSINESS I've ever seen. I think Benz copies just like everyone else. Their designs for example, looked like Toaster ovens until Lexus. Now Benzes look like Japanese cars (the S-class from the ugliest big car to the prettiest for example). The ONLY Lexus that looked (and looks) like a Benz is the LS. THe ES/IS/GS/RX/LX/GX look like no Benz in any model year, any shape and form. Benz is going from short overhangs to longer overhangs, like Japanese cars.

So quit this copying bull****.
The LS 400/430 has been whooping the S430 for the last 10 years in every comparison, this is nothing new. CAR and EVO magazine call it the finest luxury car in the world. Period. You want prestige and excess, hell yes, go to Benz.
I think lexusworld.org is in the works - don't be surprised if the interface looks a lot like mbworld.org
Real cute, I noticed this site goes down just like the car. Coincidence?:p
Old 12-30-2003, 09:12 PM

500E -92 and 560SEL -90
Lexus is very much designed for the US market.. according to US customer needs. Mercedes is biased at the European market...and the German market in first hand.
The cars therefore have different qualities.
I don't know if I have ever seen a Lexus winning a comparison test over a MB or BMW in Europe at all..... seriously...

The MB has it's big qualities at very high speeds...and it's only matched by BMW and Audi... Mercedes uses to have a fine edge though over the other two in that field.. Lexus is nowwhere near..

Take fx a MB S-class and drive it for a day at 150-250 kph at the Autobahn in Germany. Then do the same with a comparable Lexus....and you will understand why the S-class is the most sold luxury car in it's class in Europe.

/Henrik
Sweden
Old 12-31-2003, 09:17 AM

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
You know Noble, the C320 has never won any awards or any comparisons against the IS 300. Something to think about. The IS has won a couple of comparisons, the C320, never, none. It is outperformed by the IS/3/G35 and outluxed by the TL/ES/A4.

It's a fine average car but that is all.

Lexus copies? Hell yes, like every car maker, every BUSINESS I've ever seen. I think Benz copies just like everyone else. Their designs for example, looked like Toaster ovens until Lexus. Now Benzes look like Japanese cars (the S-class from the ugliest big car to the prettiest for example). The ONLY Lexus that looked (and looks) like a Benz is the LS. THe ES/IS/GS/RX/LX/GX look like no Benz in any model year, any shape and form. Benz is going from short overhangs to longer overhangs, like Japanese cars.

So quit this copying bull****.
The LS 400/430 has been whooping the S430 for the last 10 years in every comparison, this is nothing new. CAR and EVO magazine call it the finest luxury car in the world. Period. You want prestige and excess, hell yes, go to Benz.

Real cute, I noticed this site goes down just like the car. Coincidence?:p
way to break it down for 'em!
Old 12-31-2003, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by Henrik
you will understand why the S-class is the most sold luxury car in it's class in Europe.

/Henrik
Sweden

the Ford F-150 is the most sold vehicle in the States for a long time running. that sais nothing of the quality or performance now does it?

the whole point here people is that the LS430 is one of the nicest luxury cars on the road and there is no need to bash lexus. when compared with the S430 it has just as much luxury for about $15-20k cheaper. just a little less rear-seat legroom.

above that lexus obviously has nothing to compete with the AMG and S600.

of course it isnt an autobahn cruiser becuase there is no need for it to be. its a solid luxury car with an outstanding ride that is priced well below its competition. and with a far better record for reliability. thats it. nothing more, nothing less. now let it go!
Old 12-31-2003, 09:59 AM

500E -92 and 560SEL -90
Originally posted by WannaBeAMG
the Ford F-150 is the most sold vehicle in the States for a long time running. that sais nothing of the quality or performance now does it?

the whole point here people is that the LS430 is one of the nicest luxury cars on the road and there is no need to bash lexus. when compared with the S430 it has just as much luxury for about $15-20k cheaper. just a little less rear-seat legroom.

above that lexus obviously has nothing to compete with the AMG and S600.

of course it isnt an autobahn cruiser becuase there is no need for it to be. its a solid luxury car with an outstanding ride that is priced well below its competition. and with a far better record for reliability. thats it. nothing more, nothing less. now let it go!
Well...it should say that the F-150 is good at pleasing customer needs...and for that sake is a good car....

The rest of what you say is about just what I meant... It's different cars and they suit different tastes and needs.

The Lexus might be a better choice if you want to cruise at 50 mph at the interstate in total quietnes, luxury, and isolation from the outer world. There's nothing wrong with that.

The Merc strenghts is going very fast for a long time in a total relaxed manner...and at the same time keep the driver a bit in touch with the road...because that's required for safety reasons at high speeds.

In German tests the Mercedes cars often beat even BMW's when it comes to evasive manuevers at 150-200 kph.

..but I'm not saying that makes Lexus a bad car in any way.. it's just a different car.

When it comes to reliability I don't really know... the Merc's have always been very robust constructions... but maybe all electronics and that are making never Merc's more unreliable..
In Sweden though the reliability for all sorts of faults are about the same for the old S-class (w140) and the comparable Lexus from the same period....