S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

After Alternator replace Rear Airmatic not working - Front Fine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 05:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S500
After Alternator replace Rear Airmatic not working - Front Fine

I have pulled searches for this issue on Benzworld MB forum and Google, however I have seen too many conflicting and confusing responses so I am putting this to the forum.

Today I replaced my 2000 S500's Alternator and the Battery is 1 week old. I also repaired my front left side airmatic line that was broken during repairs, I used the MB compression connector ($92 dealer price) but you could find one similar for $15 somewhere. The front of the car is stable at correct height right and left. For the first time i have problem with rear not rising. This is not a coincidence something occurred during my or the dealer repair efforts that caused this I believe.

The rear left is slightly higher than rear right - but neither is as high as they were two or 3 days ago. I have not driven the car for 3 days for repairs.

Is there a reset procedure for rear struts.

I have Stop Car To Low message.

4 days ago the dealership replaced a fuse and diagnosed my bad alternator.

I need help with prognosis.

My thoughts on what could be the problem. [edit add - If the pump fails does the air in the struts that are not leaking remain up? or if pump fails do all struts lower]

I could have damaged an airline / sensor that controls rear struts (where is it located?) I have a pdf diagram of the Airmatic system just would like some wise support before I go touching anything.

A fuse is blown - (What if any fuse causes the rear struts to not rise) - edit [I checked fuses 9 and 46 and both are good - Relay O is should be fine as the front struts.]

The pump is broken, however the front works fine. (I do hear the pump engaging. How does it get the air to rise and lower the car anyway, shouldn't I hear air going in and out)

Any support is greatly appreciated. I have a new job starting Monday and would like to arrive in great spirits.

Last edited by majorpeace; 06-14-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 430 sclass
NEED HELP AS WELL!!!!!!

I have the same problem my 2000 class 430 have a message that says stop car car to low. My front is very low. About 3 months ago it happen but only overnight. I will wake in the morning and it will be very low. The I press the car lift button and it will lift.
Yesterday I hit a speed bump and never lifted after that i will like to no the cost of parts and labor.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S500
Front is low

Sorry to hear about your front. Is it both right and left?

Based on my research please check for air leakage from the airline or strut or at the pump location. The challenge is I have not found a DIY to demonstrate how to access the pump. I will let you know when I find it. Until then I believe to change the pump is in the $450 - $750 range if you do it yourself not sure for dealer to do work.

Stay positive as in I am positively pissed at my car that I have been working on for 2 months straight. Cheers.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 350 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
Perhaps you have already done so, but if not I would suggest that both of you go to the sticky thread at the top of the page that says "START HERE" - there is a lot of info on the Airmatic system, including how to access and repair the pump.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
pump is $285
valve block is $260
oediscountparts.com