S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

DIY W220 AMG Center Mesh Grille Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 01:17 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
W204 C300 2010
DIY W220 AMG Center Mesh Grille Replacement

After loosing the center grille 2 times due to unforeseen road debris striking the front of my car, I decided to make my own center mesh grille. The first time the entire front bumper cover and AC condenser was replaced by insurance. The second time, a piece of metal that was kicked around on the freeway ultimately stuck the lower center of my front bumper. The center grille was then lost and I still have a gouge in the lower lip. At a cost of $300 for a '06 grille (early years are less expensive), I decided to try to make my own.

Goals:
  • Grille must be removable
  • No new holes need to be drilled (foam 2-sided tape, plastic L brackets and black oxide trim screws used) screws used only in the bracket
  • Totally reversable if I find a factory grille for a good price

Note: If you don't care to have the grille removable, you can just take the grille material and create rough cut behind the opening and fasten with epoxy and/or small screws.

1. Poster board and foam board for pattern forming:

3. Pep boys grille material:

6. Cut with Super Sheers and tape as you go around the new shape:

8. Grille cut out, trimmed with automotive door trim and painted with VHT epoxy paint:

9. HID fog lights behind the grille, made grille to be removable to access lights later:

10: Finished grille:
Old 07-03-2014, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
Very nice job. Seems like the lower grills on these cars are designed to catch something. Most of the time it is very large insects.