S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Can't open door from inside or outside

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
Can't open door from inside or outside

OK, I get a call today from a friend who has a S430. Don't know if anyone has seen this problem before but initially he was having problem with his outside door handle. It just wouldn't open the door.

Instead of being patient and waiting for me to come and help he decided to go on his own. Anyway, apparently when he put the door paneling back on the rod that connects to the inside handle was not secure and came out of the hook. Now he can't get that door to open at all.

Anyone ever had this problem? I can't see how it would even be possible to get that door panel off with the door closed. That thing is very snug up against the inside of the door.

He wanted to try a towing company but I don't think those slim jims work on these cars do they?

I have heard about some type of inflatable thing that some towing companies use. Does anyone know about that?
Old 07-14-2014, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 350 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
Both the "slim jim" and the air bag are used primarily to unlock the door. I have no idea whether or not you can get anything to the arm on the lock mechanism that actually opens the door - but from what I remember, I doubt it.

The air bags are small inflatable bags. After the upper part of the door frame is manually pried out a bit, the deflated bag is squeezed into the gap. When it is manually pumped up, the upper frame is forced out enough to allow a long steel rod tool to reach inside to push a lock button, pull the door handle, etc. to allow unlocking the door.

This has the feel of an expensive blunder.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 S430 4Matic
Thats a real problem! Can you unbolt the drivers seat and move it out of the way. At least you will have access to the door panel.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
I agree with you Wally. I saw a video of this air bag process and that thing has the potential of creating a tremendous amount of damage to the locking mechanism and possibly other parts of the door. Besides, that process works if your internal door handle is not broken.

After removing every bolt on the door panel and prying and trying for several hours to get something inserted into the door paneling in hopes of catching the rod that connects to the inside door handle nothing seems to work.

That door is so snug that we can't even get the door clips to pop out. The only part we were able to loosen enough to get a clothes hanger in was the section where the door control module is. However, we still can't seem to get a hook on to the cable because the hanger gets caught on other internal parts behind the door.

So here is the solution we came up with. Did some searches and found a replacement panel exactly the same as his for under $100. Now he can cut through the existing panel to get to the door handle cable and pull it open. I just don't have the heart to destroy the door panel so I'll let him do it. Anyway, I know where everything is located behind that door so I'll just supervise the operation.

Might sound a bit drastic but this is probably the most viable and cheapest solution.