S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

coilover conversion kit for s55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 08:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 S55
coilover conversion kit for s55

whats up guy new to the s class.. want to know is there a kit for the w220/s55? have been looking and I found yellowspeedracing coilovers wasn't sure bout them and if they would work or what I would need for the swap.. thanks
Old 06-17-2015, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
My friend I am 99.9% sure you car has the infamous MB ABC ride on it. It is NOT air driven, which means I have NEVER seen ANYONE convert it to coilovers.

Good luck, and it MIGHT be able to be done, but you better have some DEEP pockets.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 S430, 2000 S500 Both Brilliant Silver!
All hope is NOT lost. Search on these forums and youll find solutions.

Strutmasters.com coilover kit and a set of junkyard S500 swaybars and an S500 power steering pump.

Mramg Y u PUTTING the poor man in FEAR?!

Last edited by VMAX7; 06-17-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 S55
Coilover kit

This is what I've found so to get this to work just need a s500 swaybar and powers steering pump?
Old 06-18-2015, 11:04 AM

Ive never heard of yellowspeed. I have a set of strutmasters.com coils spring and struts on my moms '00 S430 (AirMatic from factory). Theyre located in North Carolina, ive met them and been to the facility, good chaps. Call them up.

Also check out arnott for conversion kits too.

The swaybar and ps pump will have to be found elsewhere online.

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...l-corners.html

Last edited by VMAX7; 06-18-2015 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:12 AM

Post #13 copied & pasted:

"I just installed an ABC to spring steel conversion from strutmasters. I bought the Arnott kit first, they don't sell a kit for ABC but with everything else being equal I gave it a shot.The rear looked great, the front was way to low by about 2". Arnott refunded me and I got the SM kit,swapped it out and although it rides about in the raised posistion, the ride quality thus far is really good. I'm going to have the client drive for awhile to see how much it settles before worrying about ride height. The Arnott kit came with a module you hook up to the CAN at the module and the Sm kit comes with sensor resistors.I had a error code on the cluster for air susp. being defective ( I changed the coding in the cluster from ABC to airmatic since with lack of ABC pressure would give me the red warning and not go away with the reset button).I have not hooked up the resistors and just unplugged the CAN off of the ABC module and I get the soft message of airmatic failure but it goes away once changing screens/ R button. I'm still checking out other alt. set-ups that can work that will eliminate the light before buying the module. The car I did was an 02 so 03 and later will probably be different due to operating systems differences. I also eliminated the ABC pump completely by using a p/s pump and reservoir off a 05 e55,repositioned the p/s pressure line to attach correctly,made a bracket to keep line in position and removed ABC/ P/s reservoir completely. A couple of things I ran into was I had to drill the front strut upper mounting holes a little bigger,the Arnott kit would not fit into the stock mounting holes but the Sm kit didn't seem to have a problem. I'm not a big fan of keeping the stock ABC pump since it can produce 180 bar of pressure and if there is a leak it's still leaking, just not from the struts and if it goes dry it could cause a failure of the pump since it's not being lubricated,time will tell. Also keep in mind that ABC cars do not have sway bars front or rear. To add a front one you will need new spring links,the bar and mounting hardware and the links to connect it to the link/bar. The rear goes on top of the subframe so you will need similiar parts but the rear hub assy looks like it will accept the sway bar links. You would have to lower the rear subframe to install the rear bar as well so I think if anything,upgrade the front when you need spring links or bushing and forget the rear.Hope that helps as this project is still under way."