S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

ABC System damage due to impact

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02' CLK 430 & 02' S600 & 05' S600 & 04' Triumph Daytona 955i, 2015 Willys Jeep
Question ABC System damage due to impact

I have a concern with my 2005 S600. Two months ago while driving down a major freeway in north Texas, my driver side wheel took a direct hit when I hit someone's driveshaft laying in the road at 75-80 mph. The front rim of course was badly damaged as well as the rocker arm, etc. My insurance covered all the damage of nearly $10k.

Over the past couple of months, I've noticed a small drip of fluid where I have parked the car for an extended period of time. I checked the ABC fluid and noticed it was low. After topping it off per service guidelines, I've had to top it off a total of three times in the past two months. I took the car into a local MB dealer and called my insurance company to notify them that there may be additional damage. The MB tech. and an estimator from my insurance company checked the car and ultimately determined this was a common problem on the S600 and determined it to be normal wear as there was no visible impact to the suspension hoses. I don't disagree that the hoses were not physically damaged as a result of hitting the debris but I question whether the pressurized suspension was damaged as a result of the transfer of energy to the compression fittings during the impact. Basically, the hose is leaking at a connector, not due to a worn or weak spot in the rubber portion of the line. I am aware of the known ABC issues with the SL500's and the recall for 2001-2004 S class models however, that was due to the corroding of the line near the catalytic converter and moisture...which is not what this is.

Does anyone have anything to add or know whether this is a likely possibility? Again, my explanation was lengthy but what I'm asking is....could hitting a driveshaft in the highway at 75-80 mph with the front wheel, create back pressure on the suspension system and cause a leak in the hydrolic line?
Attached Thumbnails ABC System damage due to impact-image.jpg  
Old 09-03-2015, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 424 Posts
Mercedes
Very unlikely they are related

Seeping hoses are a common issue and unrelated to the impact
Old 09-04-2015, 12:10 AM

Received 169 Likes on 140 Posts
2005 S500 Designo
Get your car in the air somehow and check your ABC lines to see if they're weeping. If they're weeping you they must be replaced (especially if they are high pressure lines).
Old 09-06-2015, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 329 Likes on 266 Posts
2006 S600
The impact is unlikely to cause ABC damage as the damper will most likely take the shock impact. Mechanically, the damper sits in parallel with the strut. The ABC piston only work on the spring.

Even if it didn't, the spring would still absorb the shock, as mechanically it sits in series with the ABC strut, so the spring has to compress before the shock reaches the ABC cylinder.

nick