S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

ABC Pump - number and placement of orings on output banjo bolt?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABC Pump - number and placement of orings on output banjo bolt?

It's a testament to the knowledge of this forum that this is the only question I haven't been able to find the answer to by searching and reading, and I'm hoping someone knows this one:

2004 S600

The high pressure output of the ABC tandem pump has two stacked banjo fittings - one belonging to the high pressure hose feeding fluid to the valve block near the center of the car, one belonging to the damper hose. A banjo bolt secures these two banjo fittings to the pump.

Does the seal of these stacked banjos to the high pressure output on the pump rely only on the orings nestled inside the banjo fittings? Or are there any additional orings or washers that are supposed to be installed at this junction?

When I removed these hoses, I did not notice any washers or orings(aside from the o-rings seated inside the banjo fittings) , and the banjo fitting at the valve block had no washer or loose o-ring either (again, that banjo fitting does have orings seated down in a groove on the banjo itself).

I did find one black plastic washer floating around in the u shaped channel of the front subframe. Could be from anywhere I suppose, and this car has had some work done on it in the past.

In this parts diagram, an o-ring is shown - item 210, part number 0289976548 appears, described as 3 required per vehicle. http://www.mbpartsworld.com/showAsse...roduct=7590992 These could however be the o-rings that go inside the banjos - a google image search for that part number brings up green orings that sure look like the ones inside the banjo fittings, and do not look like the black washer I found laying around.
Old 09-02-2016, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 329 Likes on 266 Posts
2006 S600
Yes, it really is just the O-rings in the banjos.

If you happen to have them out, which I presume is the case, then I would replace the (I did), but I'm not aware of any particular problems with them.

ABC Pump - number and placement of orings on output banjo bolt?-imag1031_zps337e0d3e.jpg

Nick
Old 09-03-2016, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nick,

Thank you for the information! Glad to hear it's just the o-rings in the banjos - it's going to be hard enough to line this assembly up to get the bolt back in without dealing with washers.

The closest MB dealership parts counter to me has the o-rings in stock for about $1.50, and the old ones are stiff and deteriorated, I'll throw a new set on as I'm buttoning this up.