S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Programming door suction behavior?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 09:15 PM

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
S55 AMG
Programming door suction behavior?

Hey all, I was just wondering if the functions for the soft-close doors can be coded via STAR/DAS. The problem I'm having now with my doors is that the soft-close function works normally and sucks in the door at the proper circumstance, but the vacuum suction does not get "released" after the door has been properly shut and therefore the PSE pump overworks itself and keeps sucking on a door that has already been properly closed for 30 seconds until the pump stops itself from burning out.

Now, my question is, is it possible to code the pump to stop sucking in the door after it has already shut the door fully in approximately 3 seconds after the sucking has started? I know something is wrong with my pump itself, which is why I'm having this issue, but it seems like a WAY better option to just code the pump to release the vacuum suction in the doors after 3 seconds rather than spending $600 and getting a new pump. Any feedback is appreciated, thank you.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:32 PM

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
Benz
Originally Posted by AlexMercedes
Hey all, I was just wondering if the functions for the soft-close doors can be coded via STAR/DAS. The problem I'm having now with my doors is that the soft-close function works normally and sucks in the door at the proper circumstance, but the vacuum suction does not get "released" after the door has been properly shut and therefore the PSE pump overworks itself and keeps sucking on a door that has already been properly closed for 30 seconds until the pump stops itself from burning out.

Now, my question is, is it possible to code the pump to stop sucking in the door after it has already shut the door fully in approximately 3 seconds after the sucking has started? I know something is wrong with my pump itself, which is why I'm having this issue, but it seems like a WAY better option to just code the pump to release the vacuum suction in the doors after 3 seconds rather than spending $600 and getting a new pump. Any feedback is appreciated, thank you.
You can turn it all the way off. It probably isn't reaching the proper pressure to turn it off due to a leak even though it has closed all the way. You can pull the line for one of the doors and cap it off to verify if the pump shuts off in proper time. If it does then you know you have a leaking latch
Old 10-02-2016, 01:42 AM

S55 AMG
Originally Posted by knowbenz
You can turn it all the way off. It probably isn't reaching the proper pressure to turn it off due to a leak even though it has closed all the way. You can pull the line for one of the doors and cap it off to verify if the pump shuts off in proper time. If it does then you know you have a leaking latch
I believe it does reach proper pressure on all four doors fully with no problems. The interesting thing is: When I pull the door handle any time during when the pump is still not releasing the vacuum on the doors after it has been closed, it releases the vacuum and the pump stops sucking the door in. You can actually see the door pop back out a little into the correct shut position.

However, if I leave the pump running with the vacuum pressure on the doors, it will keep sucking the already-shut door in for about 30 seconds, then the pump will stop working and it will finally release the vacuum and the door will go back to where it should be. However, this will disable the door suction mechanism on that door entirely and will stop working until I pull the 20 amp fuse from the rear fuse box to reset the system. Pulling on the door handle 3 seconds after the initial sucking has began, will release the suction and stop the pump. Works fine without any problems that way.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:50 AM

Benz
Originally Posted by AlexMercedes
I believe it does reach proper pressure on all four doors fully with no problems. The interesting thing is: When I pull the door handle any time during when the pump is still not releasing the vacuum on the doors after it has been closed, it releases the vacuum and the pump stops sucking the door in. You can actually see the door pop back out a little into the correct shut position.

However, if I leave the pump running with the vacuum pressure on the doors, it will keep sucking the already-shut door in for about 30 seconds, then the pump will stop working and it will finally release the vacuum and the door will go back to where it should be. However, this will disable the door suction mechanism on that door entirely and will stop working until I pull the 20 amp fuse from the rear fuse box to reset the system. Pulling on the door handle 3 seconds after the initial sucking has began, will release the suction and stop the pump. Works fine without any problems that way.
As in pull the door handle to open door? It shouldn't keep pumping when door is open
Old 10-02-2016, 05:22 AM

S55 AMG
Originally Posted by knowbenz
As in pull the door handle to open door? It shouldn't keep pumping when door is open
No, actually. When the door handle is pulled while the door is being continuously sucked in, it cancels out the vacuum suction instead of opening the door. So you would have to pull on the door handle twice to actually open it. It is hard to explain, so I think I need to make a video in order to demonstrate this odd behavior.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:24 AM

Benz
I would try capping the line off at the door just to eliminate that.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 994 Likes on 766 Posts
2003 CL 600
You can't code around a failed part.

Either fix the leaky latch or let it disable that one door and don't keep resetting it, you'll just burn your pump out.

If it does it on all the doors and it is the pump itself, then replace the PSE unit, there's no way to rebuild that circuit board that i'm aware of.