S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

oil breather and such

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 Kompy, 2005 S500
oil breather and such

My W220 is jealous thing, I have been riding my BMW for the past week and since its cooled down figured I would take my S500 to work. Well I was welcomed with a check engine light and a stumble at idle. Still went to work and she went into full limp mode. So I do see the oil breather looks like its leaking but I am not sure if its also the valve cover gasket. Looks like most people just replace them both at the same time? I am thinking this would be the cause for the excessive oil consumption.

Car has 95k miles on it I am the 2nd owner bought it a year ago with 68k on it and the first owner had informed me that she had the gaskets replaced. It looked messy though like RTV was used on the Valve covers as well. I replaced the spark plugs at 85k but since I am there do you guys think I should just replace them again? I put NGK's in it last time.

O and last question I promise, as far as spark wires go, are they all the same? Or is one brand better than the other?
Old 11-04-2016, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 350 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
It is extremely unlikely that you need plugs, assuming that you installed the correct plugs in the proper manner. Wires - probably not.

Here, the auto parts chains will pull the codes on the check engine light at no cost. Have pad and pencil ready to write down the code or codes. Post the codes that you have, and we might be able to offer suggestions. A standard code reader will show all of the Federally-required (emissions) codes, but not very many of the special MB codes.

No reason to limit questions. Intelligent questions (even ignorant ones) nicely asked will always get an answer.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 Kompy, 2005 S500
Originally Posted by wallyp
It is extremely unlikely that you need plugs, assuming that you installed the correct plugs in the proper manner. Wires - probably not.

Here, the auto parts chains will pull the codes on the check engine light at no cost. Have pad and pencil ready to write down the code or codes. Post the codes that you have, and we might be able to offer suggestions. A standard code reader will show all of the Federally-required (emissions) codes, but not very many of the special MB codes.

No reason to limit questions. Intelligent questions (even ignorant ones) nicely asked will always get an answer.
So I did a re seal on the breather it was a total mess, RTV chunks every where I replaced 6 plus on the passenger side, just filled with oil. I was actually surprised she was even able to run with all that crap in there. Thanks for your help.