S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

S55 AMG 100k Miles Maintenance Items

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 S55 AMG
S55 AMG 100k Miles Maintenance Items

Hey friends, I own a 2005 S55 AMG with about ~108k miles on it currently.
I was wondering if there were any high mileage maintenance items that I hadn't though to take care of or that you knowledgeable folks would recommend doing.

Thus far in my ownership (I've had the car for about 18k miles) I have had the following done:
-Transmission fluid changed and adapter plug replaced
-Differential fluid changed
-Engine coolant flushed
-Serpentine and super-charger belts replaced
-AC compressor replaced
-Steering rack replaced
-Control arms replaced
-Cabin air filters (charcoal and regular) replaced
-Engine air filters replaced
-ABC/Power Steering pump replaced
-ABC front accumulator replaced
-ABC valve blocks replaced
-ABC fluid changed twice
-Super-charger pulley bearing replaced
-Super-charger oil replaced
-Fuel dampener replaced

I had the engine mounts inspected while it was in the shop and my mechanic said he wouldn't bother replacing them for another couple years as they were still in decent shape. I also intend to replace the spark plugs/wires (made a separate thread in the AMG forums) now that it's gotten warm and I can be in my garage without hating life. Also need to replace front brake rotors and pads as they are pretty warn and will probably have the brake fluid flushed when that gets done.

Is there anything you guys would recommend doing that I haven't already taken care of? Thank you very much for the help!
Old 05-17-2017, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
the only thing I don't see on your list is the abc and ps filters , there are two separate filters which need changing

Originally Posted by SeanR1700
Hey friends, I own a 2005 S55 AMG with about ~108k miles on it currently.
I was wondering if there were any high mileage maintenance items that I hadn't though to take care of or that you knowledgeable folks would recommend doing.

Thus far in my ownership (I've had the car for about 18k miles) I have had the following done:
-Transmission fluid changed and adapter plug replaced
-Differential fluid changed
-Engine coolant flushed
-Serpentine and super-charger belts replaced
-AC compressor replaced
-Steering rack replaced
-Control arms replaced
-Cabin air filters (charcoal and regular) replaced
-Engine air filters replaced
-ABC/Power Steering pump replaced
-ABC front accumulator replaced
-ABC valve blocks replaced
-ABC fluid changed twice
-Super-charger pulley bearing replaced
-Super-charger oil replaced
-Fuel dampener replaced

I had the engine mounts inspected while it was in the shop and my mechanic said he wouldn't bother replacing them for another couple years as they were still in decent shape. I also intend to replace the spark plugs/wires (made a separate thread in the AMG forums) now that it's gotten warm and I can be in my garage without hating life. Also need to replace front brake rotors and pads as they are pretty warn and will probably have the brake fluid flushed when that gets done.

Is there anything you guys would recommend doing that I haven't already taken care of? Thank you very much for the help!
Old 05-17-2017, 03:56 PM

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts
2016 S63, 2013 SL63
Intercooler pump
Spark plugs
Transmission/engine mounts
Old 05-17-2017, 03:57 PM

2016 S63, 2013 SL63
CPS
Old 05-17-2017, 06:24 PM

2005 S55 AMG
I would assume the ABC filters were replaced both times I had the fluid changed out but I'll double check with my mechanic. Assuming "PS" stands for "power steering" I would imagine that have also gotten changed at the same time but good call.

I was actually in my uncle's '04 E500 when his crankshaft position sensor started going insane, so that's a good call.

Intercooler pump is another good idea, is 0392 022 010 the correct part number I'd want?

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-17-2017, 06:38 PM

2016 S63, 2013 SL63
Amazon Amazon
Old 05-17-2017, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by SeanR1700
I would assume the ABC filters were replaced both times I had the fluid changed out but I'll double check with my mechanic. Assuming "PS" stands for "power steering" I would imagine that have also gotten changed at the same time but good call.

I was actually in my uncle's '04 E500 when his crankshaft position sensor started going insane, so that's a good call.

Intercooler pump is another good idea, is 0392 022 010 the correct part number I'd want?

Thanks for the help!
very rarely do mechanics change both the abc and power steering filters . Even when they do a flush the filters are often not changed . Or they only change the abc filter when there are two separate filters in the two reservoirs

oh also the driveshaft flex discs

Last edited by tusabes; 05-18-2017 at 04:20 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 404 Likes on 348 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
Brake fluid flush.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:48 PM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
E-Class
Holy crap. How much is this costing you so far? Good job on the maintenance.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:44 PM

2005 S55 AMG
All the maintenance thus far has probably been like $8-$9k. I budgeted for most of the ABC stuff as I expected that, though the cost of the new valve blocks was way over what I had imagined. What I didn't expect were the steering rack and AC compressor going bad.

When the AC compressor died it wasn't that the AC stopped working, the actual compressor itself fell apart internally and was making this god awful noise that to me sounded exactly like the engine had thrown a rod or something equally as terrifying. I spent that night watching WW2 videos from the western front cursing the Germans and pricing out early 2000 Toyota Corollas while nursing a glass of whiskey thinking the car was done.

The next morning I paid a flat bed truck top dollar to take her to the shop.
The idiot working the truck scraped/cracked the bumper by not using the right size ramps then had the gall to tell me it was already like that. I immediately called the company and started screaming a viking war chant until they agreed to give me a blank check to have the bumper restored to pristine condition at a shop of my choice.

Needless to say that was a terrible couple of days. But to look on the bright side I have like ~25k in the car currently and have owned it a little over a year and a half with most of the big potential problems sorted out (knock on wood) and I've paid less than a decent new mid-range car or one Ferrari engine out service and have enjoyed a legitimately nice car.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:30 PM

2016 S63, 2013 SL63
I felt the exact same way after owning my S55 for two years. Sure, I dropped a little money into it, but I really enjoyed the ride.