S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Minor problem - II : Mirrors dim when car starts or while driving during the day

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 09:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
190E, C280, S55
Minor problem - II : Mirrors dim when car starts or while driving during the day

My rearview mirror in the car and on the driver side door, both, autodim when I start the car (intermittently). They act the same sometimes when driving. This is all during the normal day time driving. This only started happening few weeks back. From my understanding the autodimming is for night time to reduce the glare from the headlights of other cars driving behind in the night? During normal day time driving, it shouldn't autodim?

Appears to me like sensor malfunction or something lose connection in that circuit.

If I cover the small round dot on the top right of the mirror (which I assume is censor opening) or tap the bottom portion of the mirror, it stops the autodim and returns to normal mode.

Anyone faced this problem or similar? Anyone to correct this? Is it possible to open the mirror without removing it ?
Old 06-10-2017, 04:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'02 Mercedes-Benz CL 600
I haven't had the same problem, but the same system on my BMW. There was a second sensor facing to the road on the back of the inside mirror. That one senses if it's dark outside. That one might simply be obstructed so the car thinks it's night all the time.

In that case the ambient daylight is enough to make the front sensor believe you get glared.

You can check the system by blocking the front facing sensor with your finger and lighting with a torch on the back facing one. Then it should come on.

Hope that helped.

Last edited by JohnnyV12; 06-10-2017 at 04:27 AM. Reason: typo
The following users liked this post:
mercar (06-10-2017)
Old 06-10-2017, 05:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
190E, C280, S55
Originally Posted by JohnnyV12
I haven't had the same problem, but the same system on my BMW. There was a second sensor facing to the road on the back of the inside mirror. That one senses if it's dark outside. That one might simply be obstructed so the car thinks it's night all the time.

In that case the ambient daylight is enough to make the front sensor believe you get glared.

You can check the system by blocking the front facing sensor with your finger and lighting with a torch on the back facing one. Then it should come on.

Hope that helped.
I will try that. Right now there are two ways I get rid of the dimmed mirror - blocking the front sensor with finger or - caressing underneath the mirror with my palm. Which lead me to believe there had to be a second sensor.