S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

2000 S430, only 48k miles! Whatcha guys think??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 03:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't have one yet :(
Question 2000 S430, only 48k miles! Whatcha guys think??

Debating between some E500's I found and a couple of Sclass that caught my eye. I LOVE the W220-221 more than any other model out there. This one I found is a 2000 S430, only 48k miles, clear carfax, meticulously maintained- soooooo what do you guys think about it? I feel like it really should be a great car that should last a long time without too many issues. I have plenty of funds set aside for repairs and lots of preventative maintenance to give my baby lots of TLC- and I wanna do some lighting upgrades, ground lights, interior ambient lights, custom exhaust tips, some fun stuff like that. SO, do you think it is a good deal? Or should I jump a few years up and pay more $ to go with a newer model with still good mileage? Here are the three finalist- LET ME KNOW your thoughts guys! I need help for sure

Car #1-
http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invento...ting=178938054

Car #2-
http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invento...ting=180035322

Car #3-
http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invento...ting=178392681

Alright- which would you buy??
Old 07-17-2017, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 174 Likes on 144 Posts
SL55, S500
Ground lights? Lol

Anyway I wouldn't get any of them- no sport package they are ugly and 2nd they aren't worth more than 5k any of them or what I mean to say is don't pay more than 5k for any non amg.

Better off getting a high mileage s55 than these.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Das Geld 2
Ground lights? Lol

Anyway I wouldn't get any of them- no sport package they are ugly and 2nd they aren't worth more than 5k any of them or what I mean to say is don't pay more than 5k for any non amg.

Better off getting a high mileage s55 than these.
Thanks for your somewhat rude input, but I have already decided (with lots of awesome help from other members) that I am going with a 2005 S500 4matic. I have no idea why I would get a high mileage S55 as the costs of maintenance would be astronomical. I love the Sclass, with or without sport package, and I don't think these are ugly at all. I love the body design, super smooth, sleek, classy, and luxurious. But, I guess to each their own!
Old 07-18-2017, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
The S-Class without the AMG body style is still a very sharp looking car. Remember, you are the only person that has to be pleased with the car you buy.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by ibeforreal
The S-Class without the AMG body style is still a very sharp looking car. Remember, you are the only person that has to be pleased with the car you buy.
Hey man, you are absolutely right! It doesn't matter if someone else likes the car or not- it only matters if I love it. That said, I think I am not going to go with a Benz after all I have always wanted one, but to be honest- after all of the research and discussions I have had on here, I am terrified to buy one. It sounds like they break down every other day and with insane costs to repair. I am not at a place, financially, where I can do something like that. I am bummed, cause I want one so badly, but it looks like I am going to have to wait many more years until I can afford a newer model. I think I am going to go with an 2006 Infinity M45 sport that I found with 48,000 miles for $13k. I REALLY like the car a lot actually- beautiful design, gorgeous luxurious interior, tons of cool tech, and the relibility is rated very high and is among the least expensive luxury cars to maintain, not to mention it is pretty darn fast. I will keep loving Mercedes from afar, and hope one day I will have one!
Old 07-18-2017, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
That's an Insanely high price to pay for an 11 year old Infiniti , but as they say it only matters to you !!

s class Mercedes have high maintenance bills there is no way around it . If you bought one with a warranty and only keep it during the warranty period you'll be ok but after the warranty is over These cars cost thousands per year to repair if you can't DIY
Old 07-18-2017, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by tusabes
That's an Insanely high price to pay for an 11 year old Infiniti , but as they say it only matters to you !!

s class Mercedes have high maintenance bills there is no way around it . If you bought one with a warranty and only keep it during the warranty period you'll be ok but after the warranty is over These cars cost thousands per year to repair if you can't DIY
Believe it or not, it is actually a really good price for the M45- these cars are no joke, 0-60 in 5.2 secs, loaded with all the tech you can think of, great reliability, low repair costs, etc. It is cheaper than a Benz of the same year.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by SClassDreamz
Believe it or not, it is actually a really good price for the M45- these cars are no joke, 0-60 in 5.2 secs, loaded with all the tech you can think of, great reliability, low repair costs, etc. It is cheaper than a Benz of the same year.
It's cheaper than the S-class because it was also cheaper to begin with. Those two are not on the same level.

Realistically, these cars run at 5-7% of new car value and repairs have to be anticipated.
A warranty is best, but DIY and rebuilt/ebay/junkyard can keep costs low and provide an immensely enjoyable driving experience.

They are also a good choice from a safety standpoint.

Personally i wouldn't look at any W220. Mercedes had to deal with numerous quality issues and a W221 would be a better choice for little more money...
Old 07-19-2017, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 174 Likes on 144 Posts
SL55, S500
Originally Posted by SClassDreamz
Hey man, you are absolutely right! It doesn't matter if someone else likes the car or not- it only matters if I love it. That said, I think I am not going to go with a Benz after all I have always wanted one, but to be honest- after all of the research and discussions I have had on here, I am terrified to buy one. It sounds like they break down every other day and with insane costs to repair. I am not at a place, financially, where I can do something like that. I am bummed, cause I want one so badly, but it looks like I am going to have to wait many more years until I can afford a newer model. I think I am going to go with an 2006 Infinity M45 sport that I found with 48,000 miles for $13k. I REALLY like the car a lot actually- beautiful design, gorgeous luxurious interior, tons of cool tech, and the relibility is rated very high and is among the least expensive luxury cars to maintain, not to mention it is pretty darn fast. I will keep loving Mercedes from afar, and hope one day I will have one!
This makes no sense. So you're going to spend more $ on a lesser car? Do you realize the W220 is going for 2-5k at Mannheim right now. 3rd party sellers are selling mint cars for 5k. It's called doing a PPO you probably wont spend a dime for 1-2 years if everything is fine except oil change. This car is ultra reliable and I've owned it trouble free for 10 years nearly.

Cant say the same for my BMW friends in the shop every week to ultimately engines blown.

But hey, do what you think is right. I think it's a mistake to not get one.

Last edited by Das Geld 2; 07-19-2017 at 05:20 PM.