S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

might buy a 04 S500, need advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
might buy a 04 S500, need advice

hi guys, can you please answer some questions because i am new to this forum and i am trying to decide if the CL500 is really worth the extra $$$ from the S500.

-any MUST GET options?
-why is the S500 7 speed auto, when the S55amg and S600 has only 5 speed?
-is this car a maintenance/recall nightmare?
-is it possible to haggle the dealers to get it under msrp?
-how hard is it to find a white/black?
-is there a significant difference between the CL and the S class in insurance?
-also, if anyone from So cal know a dealership that will give a 21 year old respect and good service, let me know.
-oh yea, penske west covina can suck my dik!

thank you very much
Old 04-28-2004, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09' 335i coupe
- 317 Comfort Package w/ Dynamic Seats
- 318 Trim Package
- 321 AMG Sport-Package(MUST HAVE!)
- 327 Comfort Package(handy)
- Keyless Go(just because its cool)
-who cares? You're getting the 7 speed, no questions needed.
-Nope, not at all, unlike the older S500's, you dont need to go to Mb every single month, f-ers...
-Get friendly with em, We got like 4 grand off my brothers M3. Just say if you dont sell it to us, we'll buy it from someone else, and for the hell of it, they'll give you some money off, thats what my dad did!
-Not hard, maybe white?
-CL, I'm guessing, should be more. I don't know, I dont have to worry about insurance for another 2-3 years
Old 04-28-2004, 11:14 PM
Almost a Member!

you should check out these guys for a car

i went to europe to pick mine up and it was a good deal .
http://www.autosupermart.com/shop/br...rsforsale.html
Old 04-29-2004, 01:13 PM

PENSKE SUCKS

ok guys, went to the nearest dealer on tuesday (penske west covina). if you are young and want to be treated with respect, DO NOT GO THERE! i went with my mom, and was talking to a salesman trying to translate what my mom was asking me then he dissapears out of nowhere. finally another salesman pulls up in a SL500 after giving someone a testdrive and my mom wanted to see the car with the top up, so i ask him if he can demonstrate, then that motherfuker just walks away mumbling out clearly these exact words "people like you cause our cars to run out of battery and dont even buy it",i dont know if he was being racist or prejudice about my age then i was like wtf, and was about to walk away then my mom sees this gold S500 and my mom really wanted to buy that car at that moment then the first salesman comes by saying "its too expensive, ill show you someother cars" he was walking towads the c-class. then i said *** it, and left. maybe it was because we arrived in my little HONDA s2000, but we definately will never ever ever go there again.

i am going to house of imports and is hoping not all mercedez dealers are like penske.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 Sienna SE, 01 S500, 05 LS430 UL
AP. A friend of mine went along with me to Fletcher Jones in August 2000 to get the 2001 model also. A sales lady approached. We weren't really haggling, just wanted to see if we could get a deal b/c she was about to sell 2 S500 in one day. She acted snooty giving the impression that an S500 could not be bargained. At the time, I guess that the S was still new and maybe a hot commodity? So, we went to House of Import and bought it there. Sales were nice, but service dept. was horrible!!! They were unorganized-I stood there for about 10 min. and nobody came out to help. Service at Fletcher Jones was a little better. I kinda thought that Mercedes would their customers would treat their customers better, considering that they are a little on the high end status? However, at Lexus, I really love it there! They treat me well. My sister-in-law went to Sterling BMW in Newport Beach for a 330ci. The sales really went out of their way to please her! Irvine wasn't so nice. They gave her lots of run-around.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Re: PENSKE SUCKS

Originally posted by AP1ayer
ok guys, went to the nearest dealer on tuesday (penske west covina). if you are young and want to be treated with respect, DO NOT GO THERE! i went with my mom, and was talking to a salesman trying to translate what my mom was asking me then he dissapears out of nowhere. finally another salesman pulls up in a SL500 after giving someone a testdrive and my mom wanted to see the car with the top up, so i ask him if he can demonstrate, then that motherfuker just walks away mumbling out clearly these exact words "people like you cause our cars to run out of battery and dont even buy it",i dont know if he was being racist or prejudice about my age then i was like wtf, and was about to walk away then my mom sees this gold S500 and my mom really wanted to buy that car at that moment then the first salesman comes by saying "its too expensive, ill show you someother cars" he was walking towads the c-class. then i said *** it, and left. maybe it was because we arrived in my little HONDA s2000, but we definately will never ever ever go there again.

i am going to house of imports and is hoping not all mercedez dealers are like penske.
send a PM to marcusbenz, he is a great guy and in so calif. I believe he is at House of imports.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:58 PM

That sounds like a very poor experience

My mom bought her E430 from the House, and my dad bought her a CLK for their Anniversary from the House. They are a pretty good dealer. They also make pretty good deals. My parents got their S500 and SL500 from Mercedes Benz Of Laguna Niguel. We're pretty impressed so far. I agree with the poster who said Lexus service rules!!! At Lexus, they treat customers like ROYALTY!!! I'm sorry about your experience at West Covina.

From what I've heard there are some really nice dealers in the Bay area, if you don't mind the drive.

But, I would reccomend that you try the House of Imports and Laguna Niguel Benz first!!!

Good Luck and please keep us posted!!!
Old 04-29-2004, 03:02 PM

To add to my post about dealerships, Shelly BMW sucks!!!!

I absolutely have no idea why their still in business. An example, my mom called this guy about seeing a 760Li, he gave her his cell #, he told her his name is Oscar, she called back a few days ago and he suddenly changed it to Jack, and he said that 760Li's are reserved for VIP parties!!! WHAT AN ***!!!!

IMHO, since Shelly BMW is right next to the House of Imports, many people go to the House for service reasons!!!

EDITED TO ADD:
I also reccomend that you get the Sports Package(it makes the S500 look much better), Keyless Go, Parktronic(It's pretty impressive), and the Electronic Trunk Closer.

Haven't tried out the Comfort Package, what exactly is that?

Last edited by lexusfan; 04-29-2004 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:51 PM

W220

Last edited by DMI+RY; 04-29-2004 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-29-2004, 04:00 PM

W220
Cool ...

LEXUSFAN: In comfort package supplied with MY04 S500 you'd get Active Ventilated with Driving-Dynamic Seats (Front, Heated seats are standard on S500).
I am not sure if you would get with this package Multicontour seats with massage feature... They have to be Multicontour...

I would recommend these packages (i.e. must have IMO):
317 Comfort Package w/ Dynamic Seats
318 Trim Package
321 AMG Sport-Package
Electronic Trunk Closer
Factory Installed CD Changer
Hands Free Communication Sys w/VCS
Parktronic
Rear Side-Windows Roller Blinds

The car with all the above:
MSRP $96,825.00
Invoice $90097.65
Dealer Holdback $2904.75
I would let dealer make up to $4000 on this, i.e. $91.2K is pretty fair price, $92K - is an easy deal.

Optional (these features I like very much):
Active Body Control
Distronic
Keyless Go
Old 04-29-2004, 05:01 PM

thank you guys

hey guys, first of all thanks for being so helpful to me, this site is truely awesome. i spoke with marcusbenz today and is meeting with him tonight. so far this is the car i think i will be getting which would arrive in about 3-4 weeks. tell me what you guys think.
-04 S500 white/charcoal (is this color rare? i never ever saw one and love this color combination)
-sport package (yes, AMG kit and wheels is a definate MUST!)
-cd changer

i think there were more but wont know for sure till later tonight. ill definately update you guys. peace
Old 04-29-2004, 07:33 PM

s600
Ok, since you are in OC, you should buy your car from House of Imports - they are the best as far as dealing (ask for Punham (sp?)-she's an assistant but is very helpful and persistant) and if you ever need maintenance, go to Caliber in Anaheim. The guys there are AWESOME. I am one of those annoying customer that complain about the slightest noise and everytime I have been treated with nothing but respect. Don't buy anything from Newport, laguna niguel or any of the places that a certain "stigma" would apply - the sales people there judge on first sight. But then again, once they run your credit report, they try to make up for their lack of respect. I guarantee most of the sales people there are driving c-class - only b/c they don't want to look stupid selling MB's and then not owning one. Also, remember - YOU control the sale...YOU have the power...they rely on you to pay their mortgage...You can walk if you don't like what they have to offer...you can also choose to work with a different sales person or ask for the sales manager or even the fleet manager, that sometimes scare the sales person into offering you a better deal.

One more thing, alot of dealerships are trying to get rid of their 2003 new inventory and are offering upto 10,000 off the msrp of the s-class. My opinion would be to get the s500. b/c the s430 base model doesn't offer much - especially with no rims - and the s600 with the v12 engine can be too much of an upkeep. (that's what I have and I am always taking it to Caliber) But still - you want what you want - and you should get what you want.

good luck
rachel
Old 04-29-2004, 07:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 Sienna SE, 01 S500, 05 LS430 UL
Hi AP. We've been pm'ing regarding remarks about rude dealerships that we didn't want to post on the forum. Anyways, my 2001 S seats are HARD IMO! You might need to sit in it, take it for a good test drive. So will this comfort package be better?
Old 04-30-2004, 07:34 AM

2014 C350 Sport
I don't know if this is the same marcus, but my father just took delivery on a S500 fully loaded from Simonson at 17th and olympic in santa monica. Our salesperson is Marcus Jerry and i HIGHLY advise anyone in the market for a mercedes to go to him. My experience at simonson was amazing. I spent 5 hours at their garrage the day my car arrived, 3 mechanics sat down with me for hours and showed me every little detail, they took apart the car to show me what was really going on. They are so nice and flexible at simonson. First time i walked on the lot (i'm 18) Marcus approached me like he would a 60 year old with a 10k suit on. No lesser respect for age.
As for options to order on the car, i had the dealership order a

Tectite Grey/Charcole (Chestnut trim) light wood really sets it off nicely.

317 Comfort package with dynamic seats
318 Trim Package
321 Amg sport package
ACtive body control
distronic
electronic trunk closer
cd changer
keyless go
parktronic

total was 102,790 negotiated it down to 96.

additions:
Chrome switch on the thin spoke AMG wheels = 799
medium tint on all the windows = 250
voice control = 650
amg s600 style exhaust... all amg components = 2600

total: approx retail: 110,000 (with lowjack and misc things here and there) i must say i love tectite grey, it's relatively rare here in LA, and i only see it on high end benz...

good luck with your purchase, i hope it goes well... yet again i highly suggest you talk to Marcus Jerry at W.I. simonson.

-alex huf

btw. the exhaust is being done at STI motorsports in culver city, anyone heard of them? any reviews?
Old 04-30-2004, 04:20 PM

no, im buying it from Marcus from House of imports. i think he is giving me a great deal. here are the specs guys.
-2004 S500 white/charcoal
-cd changer
-amg sport package

he is giving me a $4,500 off of total msrp.
Old 04-30-2004, 04:55 PM

W220
Originally posted by AP1ayer
no, im buying it from Marcus from House of imports. i think he is giving me a great deal. here are the specs guys.
-2004 S500 white/charcoal
-cd changer
-amg sport package

he is giving me a $4,500 off of total msrp.
Marcus - the same 1 from this forum?
(I believe his nik MarcusBenz).

No offense to Marcus, but here the numbers:
$90040 MSRP
$2701 holdback
$1752 over invoice (at $4500 off MSRP)
-----
$4453 profit

IMO - a little too much for a MY2004 when in a four months MY2005 would be available... Espcially if the car is in stock - you can get another $1500 or so off...

Good luck
Old 04-30-2004, 05:33 PM

really? so you think i can get 6,000 off of msrp? i thought i was getting a fairly good deal. the car is not on the lot but is on its way from germany. and yes, i am getting the car from Marcusbenz, and i dont want to lowball him. let me know what a fair price i should ask for then. thanks
Old 04-30-2004, 05:54 PM

W220
I sent pm
Old 05-03-2004, 12:43 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2000 CLK430, 2022 GLE 450
regarding sales experience, it all depends on the dealership and the people within. i've serviced my car at the same dealership for 3 yrs and have people always asking me if i need help...and gotten to know one salesperson good over the yrs. but at the same time, one guy just ignores as if you don't exist. to his surprise, i pick up my car from service and drove away in my S430 at 22yrs old which I own....haha. now that's a kodak moment :-) driving a CLK430 now 3 yrs later. basically i'm saying every person has his/her prejudgements about people so you'll see good people and bad people at dealerships.

Last edited by highstylinS430; 05-03-2004 at 12:45 AM.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:51 AM

2014 C350 Sport
Yea with time almost any dealership can turn into a good experience if you know the right people. However, my experience at Simonson was amazing, and thats why I mention my salesperson.
-Alex
Old 05-07-2004, 03:16 PM

W220
Any progress on this purchase?
Old 05-07-2004, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by DMI+RY
Any progress on this purchase?
yes, i am gonna buy it from MArcusbenz for $4500 off total msrp.
the car is due to arrive on may 24 and we should be able to pick it up 3 days after that.
-04 S500
-white/charcoal
-AMG package
-cd changer

i wish we got ABC but i heard you cant add that after the car is made. let me know any last minute advise before i bite the bullet. thanks

David
Old 05-07-2004, 05:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
why is there a wait when you buy one of these cars. Even if its on the lot you have to wait a few days, which seems like a long time even for the prepping and all. Though when we got the van we paid for it on a saturday and didnt get it until thursday. The truck though they prepped and we took it home within hours. When my friend bought the S500 they waited a week and a half, and her car was in the show room. So what takes so long?
Old 05-07-2004, 06:31 PM

2011 C63, 2004 S500, 2013 E350, 2013 Ody Elite
Really? No in our case.
My bro's S500 will be in his home garage later today. The car is also in the showroom with the overprice chrome wheels that we don't want. So the prep will only take few hours.
Old 05-10-2004, 04:44 PM

only amg
might buy a 04 s500, need advice

just keep this in mind if you are happy with your saleperson, they have treated you well and you, and only you believe you are getting a fair deal then do it, it is easy for anybody to give you advice on what you should pay, and you could probably shop for months and get a better price, but why? he did the work for you, showed you the functions and features, and will be there when you need service or help, good luck with your new s class, it will be a great car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: might buy a 04 S500, need advice