S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

2001 s600 goes into limp mode after car overheated

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 s600
2001 s600 goes into limp mode after car overheated

Hi my 2001 s600 cooling fan went bad and stop working the car overheated. A few days later after i pulled away from a stop light the car jerked and went into limp mode. I checked code got a faulty speed sensor code reset code. Transmission change fine when the car is cold. As soon as the cooling fan cuts in the cars goes back into limp mode with faulty speed sensor code.The cooling fluid in the overflow tank went low and message on dash say coolant level low and the car ran excellent for a week. As soon as I filled the overflow tank the car started to go back into limp mode. Remove fluid from the overflow flow tank and the car runs great. Change coolant level sensor filled overflow tank car back in limp mode tank along with faulty speed sensor code

Last edited by benth1; 10-05-2017 at 07:43 AM. Reason: omitted overheated
Old 10-06-2017, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 329 Likes on 266 Posts
2006 S600
Originally Posted by benth1
Hi my 2001 s600 cooling fan went bad and stop working the car overheated. A few days later after i pulled away from a stop light the car jerked and went into limp mode. I checked code got a faulty speed sensor code reset code. Transmission change fine when the car is cold. As soon as the cooling fan cuts in the cars goes back into limp mode with faulty speed sensor code.The cooling fluid in the overflow tank went low and message on dash say coolant level low and the car ran excellent for a week. As soon as I filled the overflow tank the car started to go back into limp mode. Remove fluid from the overflow flow tank and the car runs great. Change coolant level sensor filled overflow tank car back in limp mode tank along with faulty speed sensor code
Why were you driving it?
Do you want to break the engine?
Your car relies heavily on the cooling fan, so make sure that works, or don't drive the car.
Does the engine run smoothly otherwise?
Is there any smoke or vapour.
Do you have any oil / water cross-contamination?
What is the code?
Nick
Old 10-07-2017, 07:00 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
02 cl500, 04 sl55 AMG, 06 E55 AMG, 92 180sx,
What

You need to read all modules. Maybe codes in TCU or ESP. Never heard of anything similar.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 s600
Rply

Thanks for you responses fellows, Car runs great, cooling fans was replace. Two days ago I drained some coolant from overflow tank to the level where the "coolant low" message showed up on the dash and the transmission shifted normally. Today i filled the tank back to the normal level and as soon as the temperature guage reached 95 degrees the transmission goes into limp mode. I was thinking that maybe its the conductor plate, but not I believe that it may be a sensor that is sending a wrong signal to the TCM. Check all systems with analyzer no trouble Code.