S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Front Strut Dampener missing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
The dampener breaking off should not result in the car sinking as it's completely separate from the airbag - what you lose is ride firmness and adjustability via the sport button , unless the airbag was torn or ruptured it will not affect height
Old 12-13-2017, 04:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Update: My car's all fixed. yey. I ended up replacing one strut only with an arnott airstrut that my mechanic sourced locally. Not bad for $855 CAD. Like 300SE1993 said, i may end up replacing the other one as its doomed to fail someday. Anyway, the repair also included the front lower control arm and a cv boot kit and its $$$$. Now that I think about it, it wasnt a road debris that hit me, it was a freakin' pothole that struck me twice! There was enough punch to bend my left wheels. The first strike caused the dampener to break off and damage my control arm and bend my wheel. The second strike bent my other wheel.
The air bag was left intact and it didnt affect the level of the car. I was able to drive it to and from work while i figure out what to do. Having no dampener left me feel all the bumps in the road and caused a lot of rattling in my lower control arm which was damaged already. Anyway, moving forward. The car feels amazing to drive now.