S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Odd Electrical problem (tried searching, sorry!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2017 | 12:14 AM

Black 2004 S430
Unhappy Odd Electrical problem (tried searching, sorry!)

Hey all!
I have racked my brain over this problem and have searched as far and wide for any sort of info as I possibly could, so my last resort is a new (hopefully not repeat) thread.
Basically I'll put the key fob in, turn it to accessory. Everything works as it should, no warning lights (minus SRS of course). Now, I turn to start the car, it cranks and starts like normal. When it does this, it is almost like it shorts out something. Literally EVERY power feature of the car no longer works. I'm talking auto-headlamps, seat controls, AC/climate , turn signal/brights, all the buttons on the dash, windows, sunroof, etc. Even the LCD dies and seems to restart itself, but it does come back on, so I can enjoy music while I'm sitting without heat or blinkers haha
I have hunted down many electrical gremlins in my automotive history, but never one that works 100% for literally all electrical components, then works for 2%. I'm stumped. Also, I work overnights and its cold as **** outside, so any leads would help immensely!
Old 12-18-2017 | 05:29 PM

2006 S430 AMG
Check your cowl drain, is it clogged? Then I would check and make sure your floor on the passenger side is not flooded. This can lead to MANY electrical issues....pop the hood and look in the screen on top left of the engine bay by the wipers.

This might require a trip to a dealer....how old is your battery?
Old 12-20-2017 | 01:18 PM

Clk320cdi
Hi All I also have the same problem it started tonight, except all the dash lights went off while driving then came back 15-20 seconds later. i stopped at the shop and when i started the car no dash lights but all the warning light flashed on and off then again came back on the clock readjusted itself then back to normal.. i have just checked the cowl drain all clear but not sure how old the battery is?..
i have recently had the conductor plate repaired but apart from that no problems for the last couple of years..