S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Traction control interference?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 06:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
s430
Traction control interference?

So I have been playing around with my s430 on private dirt roads to get a good feel for what the car does.
And right away, I've noticed that it doesn't seem to like being in a slide with the brakes on.
The car will easily slide while on the throttle, and slide as expected with a flick without braking or throttle.
But even if I'm slightly on the brake, it will not slide at all and just acts like ESP is on.
It's very annoying because I'm so used to transferring weight to the front with the brakes to start oversteer, and it completely doesn't work on this car.

Is this something that can be disabled? I know theres some sort of dyno-mode, but it sounds like that disables abs and power steering, which is no good.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:28 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Mine 2005 S430 4Matic * Wife's 2005 S430 4Matic *
I've played around with my 2001 E430 Sport a couple years ago and noticed the transmission is affected by the brakes. Almost like it's using it for ADDITIONAL braking power. I"m certain it's intentional from Mercedes as a safety feature.

Try the dyno-mode. I believe it turns off all extras. but not sure if it would changed this situation. Keep us posted as I'm curious about the dyno-mode. I'm driving a 2005 S430 4-matic (exact same engine from my 2001 E430 Sport....swapped engines after the car was hit in the rear and totaled) so I'm not playing around burning tires off any longer.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
s430
Originally Posted by The Shoeman
I've played around with my 2001 E430 Sport a couple years ago and noticed the transmission is affected by the brakes. Almost like it's using it for ADDITIONAL braking power. I"m certain it's intentional from Mercedes as a safety feature.

Try the dyno-mode.
No dyno mode, cant get into any hidden menus. Unless there's another way for an 01.

I tested it extensively a while back, and yeah, the TC is definitely kicking on. I intentionally spun it, and I could feel it trying to brake individual wheels to save it.
Interestingly, I tried it on some asphalt in rain, and it was worse. Even without braking input, the car would try to center itself violently if I lift off the throttle a bit. Its really annoying because I will naturally correct what it's doing in addition to centering it myself, and I end up fighting the car.
I did drive it around once without initializing the steering or whatever after a power loss, and it didn't do this if I recall. I'll have to find whatever fuse does this and add an on off switch I guess. In addition to more testing in that state. But it's a bit dangerous on dirt without ABS.

Or does anyone know what fuse to pull to get it into the mode where it has the abs light on and says a bunch of stuff is unavailable in the info, without pulling the battery lead for a while?

As a side note, last weekend, I've come to realize that the TC does give up after a certain point when I unintentionally got a bit of over-steer at around 110mph on a wet road.
It blinked angrily at me, but it gave no interference that I could tell.