MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S-Class (W220) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w220-16/)
-   -   Any S500 Guard owners? (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w220/70657-any-s500-guard-owners.html)

MoeMonney 02-17-2011 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by atw24 (Post 4494279)
THX for your answer,

since you had both w 220 s 600 b6 and w 140 s 600 b6,

which one do you think is better made and easier to run (repair wise)?

side question: Was the w 220 a facelift model (with biturbo engine)?

Thanks in advance

They were both well made, Actually most Guards wether they be E class or S class are considered the best made armored cars in the world. If you compare the finish of the doors, the sounds the car makes when driven, the general finish etc. you can easily realize the difference between a Mercedes Guard car, wich was designed from the ground up to be armored, and a armored car from an independent company. The Mercedes will always be much better. The downsides are the costs. The cost of a new Guard car is well over the same car bought stardard then independently armored. The second downside is parts. Once we had the brake pump fail on the W140 B6 S600 and the cheapest quote from a dealer in Europe was over 25 thousand dollars for the pump! We ended up buying a used one from a crashed W140 Guard for about 4K.
The current S500 Guard I drive is a prefacelift but im installing the Bixenon lights and new tailights very soon. The W220 Guard B6 we sold was a facelifted model.

atw24 02-17-2011 11:57 PM

thx for the inside information, really interesting topic.

So after all, considering (replacement) parts and so on, it just makes more sense to buy a standard suburban/ grand cherokee, get it armored to the highest level available and that's it?

cheers

michael neyman 02-22-2016 03:49 AM

I have a driver window from a s600 gaurd lvl 4 for sale. Any gaurd owners need one?

Benzman33 02-22-2016 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by rondocap (Post 4493980)
I have a few friends in Brazil that have armored cars - you really do need it because all the violence, kidnappings, etc. They don't have an Guard/Mercedes though - mostly regular cars like Jeeps that get armor.

I am glad I live in New York - where the only protection you need is against the potholes in the winter because of the snow! We take that protection for granted, but in a lot of countries people really aren't as comfortable or safe outside especially with a nicer car.

I don't agree. Some areas in NY they will kill you for your car. Theres hoods every where. You just need to be careful... No place you will be safe in...

michael neyman 02-23-2016 11:30 PM

Are gaurd doors interchangeable with the regular sclass? The junkyard has 3 of 4 gaurd doors. If I can't sell the bulletproof glass,I'd consider replacing mine if they were interchangeable. L
I'd really just like to sell the window...

Benzman33 02-24-2016 05:42 PM

I don't think that would make much sense...

michael neyman 02-24-2016 06:10 PM

I'm replacing my driver side doors bc I was attacked with a steel rod then shot at 3 times. Considering I don't have a quarter million to drop on a gaurd, it makes perfect sense. Work related madness. I bought the gaurd glass thinking it would drop in.

Benzman33 02-24-2016 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by michael neyman (Post 6718483)
I'm replacing my driver side doors bc I was attacked with a steel rod then shot at 3 times. Considering I don't have a quarter million to drop on a gaurd, it makes perfect sense. Work related madness. I bought the gaurd glass thinking it would drop in.

You're either a process server or a drug dealer?

michael neyman 02-24-2016 07:06 PM

I do serve, but this was bail enforcement related. Over a 1000$ misdemeanor bond at that.

Benzman33 02-24-2016 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by michael neyman (Post 6718536)
I do serve, but this was bail enforcement related. Over a 1000$ misdemeanor bond at that.

You have one of the worst jobs in the world. All power to you, I would never do it, along with a parking booter lol.