S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Message to everyone who's replaced their ABC system for Coilovers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2024, 03:13 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
S55
Originally Posted by Scallawalla
Ride quality is subjective. It may not be the same. But that's not necessarily bad. The SL55 ride with ABC is probably closer to a Cadillac than a BMW, but with coilovers, it's probably closer to a BMW than a Cadillac. I used to drive a BMW 645 and I liked the suspension. It's also about the choice of coilovers. You said that you were unsatisfied with the choice of coilovers. Which ones? I decided not to go with Strutmasters or similarly priced ones figuring you get what you pay for. I understand people are happy with VVK, so that's the one I chose, which includes sway bars.

Honestly, I can't say what the ABC truly feels like. Because I bought the SL with blown accumulators (unknowingly). That may be a blessing in disguise. Because it's only going to get better now. Regardless, as you can guess by now, I am not in the purist camp. I bought the car to enjoy it not preserve it. Stereo is next on the list.
I drive an S55 which means thr VVK's are not available for my car. Therefore, I went with Yellowspeed. I did add the sway bars both front and rear, and I also do have adjustable camber arms in the rear. The VVK's appear to be the best option from everything I have read, for the SL, but I have not ridden in one so I can't really say much more about it.

*edit - I do remain firm in my opinion that coilovers are better at speed then the ABC. People like to say that the ABC gives the best of both world (comfort and performance) but I've had a few cars with coilovers. Even with lower quality sets, they are superior at higher speeds than the ABC. It's probably why the SL65 had coilovers from the factory. Would I have liked a $5k set from KW? You bet. Too bad they don't make one.

Last edited by paste; 03-05-2024 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-05-2024, 03:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by paste
*edit - I do remain firm in my opinion that coilovers are better at speed then the ABC.​
Makes sense. A high speed hydraulic system sounds like an oxymoron. Hydraulics are typically applied to move and hold applications where speed is not a factor, like a lift.

The following users liked this post:
paste (03-05-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 11:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cl500
It's 2024 and MB has no more abc struts to sell

The available stock of parts is diminishing. MB doesn't have the pump and struts. It's been a year since I took off my ab c pump and struts and installed silvers neomax. Yes hydraulic suspension is way better when it's new or under warranty. Now I want peace of mind and low total cost of owners.

For those of you like fried chicken I welcome you to start helping people with financial assistance to pay for their ab c repairs. Otherwise maybe you can simply not respond.

I also don't think that sway bars are needed unless you're taking the car to the track. There is hardly any roll without sway bars.

I put silvers on my cl500. I have three videos about the conversation including the pump to install with new reservoir and and additional magnetic power steering filter to protect that system.

paste (04-04-2024)
Old 04-05-2024, 12:27 AM

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
2003 S430 , 2002 CL500 , 2007 S550, 2003 Yukon Denali XL
Originally Posted by Gunter Benzmeis
The available stock of parts is diminishing. MB doesn't have the pump and struts. It's been a year since I took off my ab c pump and struts and installed silvers neomax. Yes hydraulic suspension is way better when it's new or under warranty. Now I want peace of mind and low total cost of owners.

For those of you like fried chicken I welcome you to start helping people with financial assistance to pay for their ab c repairs. Otherwise maybe you can simply not respond.

I also don't think that sway bars are needed unless you're taking the car to the track. There is hardly any roll without sway bars.

I put silvers on my cl500. I have three videos about the conversation including the pump to install with new reservoir and and additional magnetic power steering filter to protect that system.

https://youtu.be/_OUwSgTFnjE
Good job bro! And for anyone who needs Silver’s Neomax Coilovers or Yellow Speed Racing Coilovers……..visit www.goldelementautoworks.com
Old 04-05-2024, 01:29 AM

2005 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by Gunter Benzmeis

https://youtu.be/_OUwSgTFnjE
You don't need sway bars but you might want them. For example, sway bars may help adjust understeer or oversteer. You could adjust understeer or oversteer with spring rates and dampers. But you may get a better response by using them with sway bars rather than on their own.

Last edited by Scallawalla; 04-05-2024 at 01:33 AM.
Old 04-14-2024, 03:38 PM

S55
I've been trying to track down a clunk in the front end from when I installed a set a few years ago and I have some advice. Tighten the tophat nuts on the front to at least 36lb/ft and 24lb/ft on the rear. I've been waiting for a response about what Yellowspeed torque specs are but still have never received one. I did a lot of searching and came up with this number based on information on various coilovers. I was only able to do the front but it seems to have made a difference in the bounciness that I was trying to remedy although just decided that I was going to live with. I'll come up with a solution do tighten the rears hopefully without having to remove them.
Old 04-14-2024, 05:22 PM

2005 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by paste
I've been trying to track down a clunk in the front end from when I installed a set a few years ago and I have some advice. Tighten the tophat nuts on the front to at least 36lb/ft and 24lb/ft on the rear. I've been waiting for a response about what Yellowspeed torque specs are but still have never received one. I did a lot of searching and came up with this number based on information on various coilovers. I was only able to do the front but it seems to have made a difference in the bounciness that I was trying to remedy although just decided that I was going to live with. I'll come up with a solution do tighten the rears hopefully without having to remove them.
The VVK coilovers were a bit bouncy and creating lots of oversteer at the default damper settings of 50% (12 out of 25 clicks) I left the rears as is and stiffened up the fronts to 80% (20 out of 25 clicks). Much better. Less bounce and more firm and oversteer is gone. I like some oversteer so I might stiffen the rear dampers.

I wanted to keep the coilover ride as close to the comfort of the ABC suspension as possible, so I opted for lower spring rates than the standard. In hindsight, I should have went with the standard spring rates. Because I’d characterize the lower spring rates as more bouncy than comfortable. But it’s still fine. Because the damper settings are responsive enough to reduce the bounce and firm up the ride to where I like it. I’m happy with it. I like thawing the adjustments and they are in a useable range. I’d recommend VVK.
Old 04-15-2024, 02:27 AM

Received 138 Likes on 126 Posts
CL 600 '00 5.8L V12
I wanted to keep the coilover ride as close to the comfort of the ABC suspension as possible
Lol, not possible.

It also needs a sway bar now
Old 04-15-2024, 02:30 AM

S55
The VVK coilovers were a bit bouncy and creating lots of oversteer at the default damper settings of 50% (12 out of 25 clicks) I left the rears as is and stiffened up the fronts to 80% (20 out of 25 clicks). Much better. Less bounce and more firm and oversteer is gone. I like some oversteer so I might stiffen the rear dampers.

I wanted to keep the coilover ride as close to the comfort of the ABC suspension as possible, so I opted for lower spring rates than the standard. In hindsight, I should have went with the standard spring rates. Because I’d characterize the lower spring rates as more bouncy than comfortable. But it’s still fine. Because the damper settings are responsive enough to reduce the bounce and firm up the ride to where I like it. I’m happy with it. I like thawing the adjustments and they are in a useable range. I’d recommend VVK.
I was referring to the nut:

Not the damper settings.
Scallawalla (04-15-2024)