S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

w220 Newbies start here

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Mercedes S500
Unhappy w220 Newbies start here

Well it didn't work and I can get no help....

Unhappy 2000 S500, W220 Engine position sensor doesn't seem to be problem?
I was on my way home one evening and I noticed the ES light on my dash was on, I noticed a slight miss in the engine. the car died about a minute later. Had it towed home. looking I found fuse 49 had blown, I replaced this fuse (while the car was cool) it started back up and ran until it heated up then died. I got it to start again and it started ran a sec. then died with ES light on. Read about the crankshaft position sensor and it very much sounded that way so I ordered one off Amazon (Part No. 0 261 210 170 made by Bosh) I changed the sensor. Car starts, ES light is off, is running then in a couple of minutes it dies. I let it cool and it started again, ES light is on now, it runs for a short while and dies, now starts and immediately dies. Do I need to reset something or what? Where should I start and what should I test and how? I have an auto ranging multimeter (Southwire 10040N). Where should I start? Please give me some help. Thank you.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,091 Likes on 725 Posts
12 E350 4Matic 13 E350 4Matic AMG Sport
Your symptoms sound like a bad cam position sensor, did you disconnect the battery before replacing? I have a 2003 so different fuse locations than your 2000, what is fuse #49? also what do you mean by ES light? Try disconnecting the battery negative cable for five minutes.

I'm sure others on the sight are more informed than I, but no one replied so I thought I would give it a try,

p.s. spent many a night at the Martha Washington in Abingdon, great country around the tri-cities
The following users liked this post:
Supermotoman (07-05-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 05:44 PM

2000 Mercedes S500
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by pierrejoliat
Your symptoms sound like a bad cam position sensor, did you disconnect the battery before replacing? I have a 2003 so different fuse locations than your 2000, what is fuse #49? also what do you mean by ES light? Try disconnecting the battery negative cable for five minutes.

I'm sure others on the sight are more informed than I, but no one replied so I thought I would give it a try,

p.s. spent many a night at the Martha Washington in Abingdon, great country around the tri-cities

I have not looked into that yet, I will. My chart says fuse #49 is Ignition coils. The first instance it quit while driving was when I found that fuse blown. I haven't found any since. ES I saw in another post , was used to refer to the engine service light, which is why I put that in. I'm new to this forum and I am finding help with just giving me where to start has been hard for me to come by. Maybe I'm posting wrong or something? You are the only person who has replied to any of my posts and I thank you for your your thoughts, comments and any information you may have. I've never stayed at The Martha Washington, but did attended a luncheon seminar with an Architect I was working for at the time. Yes, It's really nice around this area. Very mountainous and many waterways.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:55 PM

2000 Mercedes S500
battery

I did have the Battery disconnected as I installed it. I'm having trunk closing issues. I'll post more about that.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

if the battery was disconnected before replacing the Camshaft position sensor then you did it right. If you blew the fuse 49 and it's for the coils, it's likely you have a short in the coil pack or might be really old spark plugs, how many miles do you have and when were the 16 plugs replaced? also if you can borrow an OBD2 code reader that will help, if you can afford it a Maxidas from Autel is a great choice, 500.00 or an Icarsoft MB2 for 145.00 I have the MB2, will reset some lights and diagnose most of the issues but the Autel is obviously better and a step above that is the Chinese knockoff of the MB system 900.00 which will reset all lights and diagnose exactly and do things like reset ride height and sensors
Old 07-05-2018, 12:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
13 GLK 250, 93 190e, previous 13 Gl450, 95 E350 wagon, 06 E350 wagon, 00 S430, 06 E350, 08 ml320
Autel

Originally Posted by pierrejoliat
if the battery was disconnected before replacing the Camshaft position sensor then you did it right. If you blew the fuse 49 and it's for the coils, it's likely you have a short in the coil pack or might be really old spark plugs, how many miles do you have and when were the 16 plugs replaced? also if you can borrow an OBD2 code reader that will help, if you can afford it a Maxidas from Autel is a great choice, 500.00 or an Icarsoft MB2 for 145.00 I have the MB2, will reset some lights and diagnose most of the issues but the Autel is obviously better and a step above that is the Chinese knockoff of the MB system 900.00 which will reset all lights and diagnose exactly and do things like reset ride height and sensors
Do you have any experience with the Autel? Can anyone confirm it will reset ride height, etc?

Which Chinese device will reset ride height?
Old 07-05-2018, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here is my current understanding, I would ask for help from more knowledgeable members to confirm.
Icarsoft MB2 149.00 will pull codes, reset lights and reset codes, will give more specific codes than a standard OBD2
Autel Maxidas 500.00-1000.00. will do the above and also reset new sensors and give some more specific codes than the MB2
MB Star 3400.00 will rest everything and adjust sensors, ride height and give specific codes [which coil pack which speed sensor etc.]
you can find the Chinese knock off on ebay and sometimes amazon for 500.00 to 1000,00 need to use your own laptop but I hear these are sketchy, but do work most of the time.
I have the MB2
example my 2003 S500 reads Left and right front ride height sensors too far apart, My MB2 tells me this and gives me the voltage from the ride height sensors and the speed sensors and will clear this code but will not reset sensors or reset in parameters so I still need to go to someone with an MB star to reset ride height within parameters. Until I do the suspension system is in limp mode, it won't let car go too low to drive but will not compensate for three heavy suitcases put in the trunk, which it used to do automatically,then automatically reduce air when suitcases removed. also does not respond to inputs from switches on dashboard.

Hope this helps!
The following users liked this post:
Perpendicular (07-05-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 404 Likes on 348 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
There are dozens of threads and posts on buying and setting up STAR/SDS here and on http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/

While it will be frustrating to read these, there is a lot of info out there, and no short, simple post is going to help you much. Perhaps the best illustration would be to imagine you trying to answer the questions of some one who knows nothing about cars, "I understand that you can buy a vehicle for transportation - what do I need to buy?".

You might could get the actual MB STAR system - hard to do, and likely to cost somewhere between $30,000 and $50,000, plus very high monthly expenses.
You might be able to find a USA "vendor" who will build you a clone STAR system. You are then dependent upon them for support and maintenance. I know of no honest dependable "vendor" - there may well be one or more, but they aren't common.
You can find Chinese vendors who will sell you a complete system - computer, software, multiplexer, cables, etc. It is pretty rare to find one who can/will provide any support or training.
You can find Chinese vendors who will sell you a multiplexer and cables. I bought this for about $250, because I had the computer and software already.
You can find Chinese vendors who will sell you a multiplexer, cables and a hard drive containing the software. You can find this for between $275 and $800. You then go on eBay and buy a Dell D630 or D830 (bigger screen) and extra memory, install the hard drive and do the system integration. This usually costs less than $100. Frustrating sometimes, but when you are through, you understand and can maintain the system.

Learning to use the STAR system is frustrating. There is no "manual", so RTFM is not a help. Try it, learn what works, try to learn what the English translation of German technical language means... Lather, rinse, repeat.

But - If you really want to drive a W220 Mercedes, and you aren't rich, you don't have much choice.