S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Battery Charge visit work shop and EL. Power issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S 320
Battery Charge visit work shop and EL. Power issue

I have a 2004 S320 which has all the AMG badges on it but I have no idea whether it is an AMG or not. I bought it 8 months ago and the EL. Power Control, EPC, Visit workshop malfunction has come up more often than not since I bought it. I asked the dealer what it meant when I bought it but was told that it was to do with the fact that the battery had run flat (either lying or bluffing). This has not caused me any issues seemingly but I would like to get rid of the light. I have had some serious electrical issues with the battery draining. An auto-electrician told me that looking for the source of the battery drain could be extremely expensive, that he had had experience in the past and that a pump that is located above the wheel arch could be too blame. I bought the car cheap and it sounded like a big and expensive job. Instead I got the auto-electrician to fit an isolator switch so that I could disconnect the battery every time I got out of the car. There was still a slow battery drain nevertheless but I could live with this. Last week the battery stopped holding charge for any length of time and the Battery Charge light came on. My local garage replaced the alternator and the battery draining issue has been sorted. Unfortunately the battery charge light keeps on coming on. The mechanic thought there might be a dodgy cell in the battery but the company that sold me the battery tested it and said that it was fine.

Anyone got any ideas and can help?

Cheers

Old 07-30-2018, 01:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 S55 AMG Silver, 2003 CL600 Black Opal Metalic, 2005 CLK500 Silver (sold)& Orion Blue (sold)
If it was truly that the battery had been disconnected, then a simple reset procedure should make it go away. Turn the car on, turn wheel all the way to the left, all the way to the right and back to center. All warnings should go away and you should be fine. I dealt with a parasitic draw when I first got my S55, it can be a host of things from the factory that draw power when the car is off, overnight. My issue was from some after market installations that were made prior to my purchasing it. Check out the SOS button, I've heard of that being an issue that goes un-noticed, also the seat motors can kick on apparently, check battery cable, pull kick boards and check for water intrusion, all the usual suspects. Check grounds and wiring to alternator, don't ignore the belt, as a bad belt can kill the accessories it's meant to run. Just throwing out possibilities based on my own limited knowledge, but it definitely sounds like your problem isn't the battery, it's the alternator's ability to keep it charged. Gotta love German engineering. Good Luck
Old 07-31-2018, 02:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 424 Posts
Mercedes
All those are good tips . The nav system often causes battery drain . Battery drain on these cars is a common problem and pinpointing the cause can be expensive

the airmatic pump by the wheel is not usually a cause of battery drain