S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

s430 Shifting Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c36
s430 Shifting Issues

I recently had a problem with my 2006 S430. when I put the shift lever into park the indicator on the dash stays on D and after turning off the car it will not start. Took it into a shop and for some reason they we stuck on the fact that it was a TPU and after spending 2k got the car back and it would start if you put it neutral or if you pulled back slightly when it is in park, I have had it back for a few days and today it did the same thing, the lever is in park and the indicator says D and it won't start. I assume the shop was just guessing and it some home started working so they charged me 2 grand. I suspect something with the linkage or in the shift console. any suggestions ?
PS: when moving the shift lever back and forth it does not appear to be doing anything.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by Opusamg
I recently had a problem with my 2006 S430. when I put the shift lever into park the indicator on the dash stays on D and after turning off the car it will not start. Took it into a shop and for some reason they we stuck on the fact that it was a TPU and after spending 2k got the car back and it would start if you put it neutral or if you pulled back slightly when it is in park, I have had it back for a few days and today it did the same thing, the lever is in park and the indicator says D and it won't start. I assume the shop was just guessing and it some home started working so they charged me 2 grand. I suspect something with the linkage or in the shift console. any suggestions ?
PS: when moving the shift lever back and forth it does not appear to be doing anything.
could be any number of things but my guess is the shifter . Problem is a new shifter costs over $1000 and requires programming .

And you can’t just swap in a used shifter unless you swap the key , ignition switch , shifter and ecu from the same donor car , as they are all coded to only work together so you need to swap all those 4 parts . If I were doing the work myself I would swap those 4 parts (can get a matched set on eBay for about $350 or locally from a car being parted out ) and if that doesn’t work it’s easy to resell those four parts fir about the same price you paid , as this is a common issue