S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Battery and other

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 S430, 2004 Porsche 996, 1999 Chevy K3500 Crew Cab Dually
Cool Battery and other

I accidentally posted in the 221 forum but here goes.

3 days ago I started the car. The outside mirrors did not fully extend and got caught midway. Once I pushed the manual mirror button the mirrors opened up.
The Command Center didn't work and still doesn't work after some troubleshooting today.

I've checked all the fuses that I could find. Left side, firewall under the hood and right side dash board side panel.

Today....

I do NOT have a 2nd Consumer battery located behind the back seat, right side. I only have one battery, right side of the spare tire. I replaced the battery
February 2017.

The car would not unlock this morning. Once the car and truck were opened I put a meter on the battery and measured 7 volts. I put
a battery charger on it enough to start the car. Prior to start the battery measured 14 volts. The car hesitated but finally started. Once running I put a meter
on the battery measuring 17 volts, so the alternator is working.

I currently have the charger on it at 2 amps per hour.

The Command Center still does not work.

I had a windshield replaced last month. The installer had to remove the rearview mirror assembly and wasn't 100% sure how to put it back together.
Did he damage the wires causing a short? I don't know yet.

I will let the battery charge for another 2 hours then start it again. The battery is still under warranty.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you,
Ed
Old 09-18-2018, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 490 Likes on 433 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by triguy450
I accidentally posted in the 221 forum but here goes.

3 days ago I started the car. The outside mirrors did not fully extend and got caught midway. Once I pushed the manual mirror button the mirrors opened up.
The Command Center didn't work and still doesn't work after some troubleshooting today.

I've checked all the fuses that I could find. Left side, firewall under the hood and right side dash board side panel.

Today....

I do NOT have a 2nd Consumer battery located behind the back seat, right side. I only have one battery, right side of the spare tire. I replaced the battery
February 2017.

The car would not unlock this morning. Once the car and truck were opened I put a meter on the battery and measured 7 volts. I put
a battery charger on it enough to start the car. Prior to start the battery measured 14 volts. The car hesitated but finally started. Once running I put a meter
on the battery measuring 17 volts, so the alternator is working.

I currently have the charger on it at 2 amps per hour.

The Command Center still does not work.

I had a windshield replaced last month. The installer had to remove the rearview mirror assembly and wasn't 100% sure how to put it back together.
Did he damage the wires causing a short? I don't know yet.

I will let the battery charge for another 2 hours then start it again. The battery is still under warranty.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you,
Ed
sure there could be a drain from wiring or any other source . All the electrical problems you noted sound more like water damage , has there been rain recently ? Check the black plastic reservoir under passenger side Windshield and see if water is built up
Old 09-18-2018, 04:02 PM

Cool

I spoke to another mechanic. When he heard the battery was getting 17 volts he immediately stated that is too much voltage for the car. He
suggested the alternator is or has gone bad. I'm also wondering if the voltage regulator went bad too? Maybe putting out too much voltage.

This could explain the Command Center. It got too much voltage and blew it out.

I will also try cleaning out the hole you mentioned. It was cleaned a few months ago, but could possibly use
another cleaning.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 490 Likes on 433 Posts
Mercedes
Your volt meter you were using isn’t accurate . You said after charging the battery registered 14 volts which is impossible . In reality it was probably 12.5 volts

when running the car was likely at 14.5 volts not 17 . Try a different meter
Old 09-22-2018, 10:00 AM

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm hoping I didn't jinx myself or put the cart before the horse this am.

Battery tested at Advance Auto. 11.3 volts and 250 amps after sitting on a charger all night.

Brand new battery? Command Center works, Engine turned over easily. I'm going to put
a meter on it in a few hours to make sure there isn't a voltage leak or drain somewhere in the car.

Ed