Coolant ~ Visit Workshop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 04:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model 2002 (S500) Ford Explorer XLT 2013
Coolant ~ Visit Workshop

Hey guys,

i have w220 s 500. yesterday while driving i saw a message "Coolant ~ Visit Workshop ". i noticed the temperature gauge touching 90C mark where as before it used to go 85C max. i pulled over to see if there is some leakage or deficiency of coolant but the coolant level was fine. i restarted the car and noticed loud fan noise from the hood it was abnormal. here is a little history of previous 2 days. i disconnected the negative terminal from the battery in order to get my suction doors work again. i visited a computer (non steeler) to remove an error from my HVAC system. after these two things i started gtting this message. can any one tell me from where i should start the diagnosis? what could have been the possible faults? how serious is it? because the sound of fan coming from the hood is quite abnormal and i dont want to risk driving it to workshop. i will better tow it to workshop.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 404 Likes on 348 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
" i disconnected the negative terminal from the battery in order to get my suction doors work again."

Disconnecting the battery can cause many minor problems, and should be avoided if possible. Resetting the PSE (Pneumatic Service Equipment) system requires only pulling out the floor light behind the right rear passenger's heels, then pulling and replacing the yellow 20-Amp fuse located near the inboard end of the fuse row.

Have you added coolant recently? If so, there might be air in the coolant system that will need time to work out, and you need to find the coolant leak.

A temperature of 90C is not overheating, but is in the normal range.

Is it hot where you are? Try turning off the HVAC system and see if the fan noise drops to normal.

What was the HVAC error code?
Old 10-23-2018, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by asifnaveed
Hey guys,

i have w220 s 500. yesterday while driving i saw a message "Coolant ~ Visit Workshop ". i noticed the temperature gauge touching 90C mark where as before it used to go 85C max. i pulled over to see if there is some leakage or deficiency of coolant but the coolant level was fine. i restarted the car and noticed loud fan noise from the hood it was abnormal. here is a little history of previous 2 days. i disconnected the negative terminal from the battery in order to get my suction doors work again. i visited a computer (non steeler) to remove an error from my HVAC system. after these two things i started gtting this message. can any one tell me from where i should start the diagnosis? what could have been the possible faults? how serious is it? because the sound of fan coming from the hood is quite abnormal and i dont want to risk driving it to workshop. i will better tow it to workshop.
was your AC functioning before you had it repaired ? I’m betting your AC compressor wasn’t on before and now it is , which triggers the higher speed fan and higher engine temps . All perfectly normal and 95c is normal with AC on just make sure your coolant is full
Old 10-24-2018, 04:15 AM

Dear Wally first of all i would like to thank you for your precious advices those are well noted. coming back to your questions

"Have you added coolant recently? " no i did not.
" Is it hot where you are? " Yes, i live in saudi arabia
" What was the HVAC error code? " it was something related to low ferion i belive. i checked it on NR codes and during ac was working pressure was 9.5 Bar. i think thats normal.

" Try turning off the HVAC system and see if the fan noise drops to normal." The fan kicks off on full throttle as soon as i start the car. and do not come back to normal no matter ac is on or off.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:20 AM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by tusabes

was your AC functioning before you had it repaired ? I’m betting your AC compressor wasn’t on before and now it is , which triggers the higher speed fan and higher engine temps . All perfectly normal and 95c is normal with AC on just make sure your coolant is full
No ac was not working as i mentioned above there was an error regarding low fereon or refrigeration which i checked and the pressure was 9.5 bar. my coolant level is spot on. i am just wondering now may be i need to flush off the old coolant and replace with the fresh one.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:33 PM

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
2005 S600 2005 SL600
Sometimes, correlation is not causality...

Meaning, just because two things happened at the same time, it does not follow that one caused the other.

If your coolant level is good, then it may be simply a bad coolant level sensor, but I would ensure that the level is good at first.

If your car is up at 90C on the gauge (I've been to your country, and surprised that the gauge wasn't up to 95C...) then it's normal to hear the engine fan running to cool the engine.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Could be a bad fan controller. Happens on those cars.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by asifnaveed
Hey guys,

surprisingly i was driving the car yesterday to workshop and the message came up again for a while and disappeared after some time automatically. And fan speed came down to normal. Now there is no problem 😂 but still i am trying to find out the reason why the message popped up at first
Old 10-27-2018, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Because your AC was not working previously and is working now . That’s why . Your car will run hotter and fans will come in higher speed with AC on . Just make sure your coolant overflow is full