S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Do I Have this Option?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CL55 AMG
Do I Have this Option?

Hey everyone, I have a 2002 S430 in Canada, Ive never had power close assist doors but I do on the trunk. Was the Door Close Assist an option or standard? Do I have it and it doesn't work? Im only asking because the pump must work if the trunk assist works.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 404 Likes on 348 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
To be certain that we are talking about the same thing...
The doors on USA W220 models have "soft close" - if you pull the doors gently onto the first closing latch position, the PSE system (Pneumatic Service Equipment) will then pull the doors fully closed. The trunk has this same soft close system.

There is a much rarer power-operated trunk open/close system that is hydraulically operated, and is not connected to the PSE system.

One check that you can do - find the floor light behind the right rear passenger's heels. Pull the light housing from the carpeted wall. Find the yellow 20-Amp fuse near the inner end of the row of fuses. Take it out and put it back. This will reset the control computer for the PSE system. Check all four doors - if any of them work, you have the soft-close option. If some work, and others don't, you have the option, and also have some failed actuators. If an actuator fails to complete the operation within the allotted time, the control computer will eventually cut off that actuator.