S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

That pesky windshield washer tank leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 06:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2005 S500 4Matic
That pesky windshield washer tank leak

I've seen the W220 leaky windshield washer leak discussions, including the long thread that indicates many people fix the leaks with an inexpensive hose-piece kit from Autozone. I have the hose kit and my 2005 S500 has has the washer tank leak for a couple years and I just got around to dealing with it and need some advice. In the threads people sometimes access it by taking out the passenger headlight and others don't, and while some describe their leaks, I don't think anyone shows their leak with pictures. I have pictures!

I added water to my tank, and took out the passenger headlight. I had no instructions for taking out the headlight, but there's a few 10mm bolts and I think three electrical cable connections. It's not rocket science.

A connector on a pump right in front of the windshield washer tank had blue residue on it, so I strongly suspected it to be the source of the leak. It was. I took the connector off the pump and water pours out of the pump's hose nipple:
That pesky windshield washer tank leak-jasa5u3l.jpg

But with the hose connector on the pump and operating the washers, high-pressure washer fluid (water at the moment) sprays out of a microscopic crack in the L-shaped plastic hose connector that slips over the pump's hose nipple [red arrow indicates location of microscopic crack right at the L of the connector]:
That pesky windshield washer tank leak-aewb3ggl.jpg

[EDIT] and then I pushed off that heatshrink cap on the end which shows the wiring harness goes inside that little hose. I don't know what it does, maybe it's a valve or something:
That pesky windshield washer tank leak-bmv09fbl.jpg

So is this a part I'm going to need from a dealer? And if so, do we know what it's called?
Any tips from anyone who has done this before would be great.

Last edited by Bugsi; 06-29-2019 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Spelling fix & New Info
Old 06-29-2019, 09:28 PM

2005 S500 4Matic
After further investigation, it is apparently this is the windshield washer hose assembly and it comes as one part complete with the hose and the electrical connector; part number 2208601292.
It costs roughly $120 give or take $15 from online sources.
Old 06-29-2019, 11:18 PM

2005 S500 4Matic
And you can fix things right, or you can fix things cheap. I bought a foot of 5/16" hose at Autozone, along with a small piece of hose from the Autozone vacu-tite hose repair kit 47430, and fixed it by sliding the larger tube over the connector that is cracked, and sliding a smaller piece of tubing inside that and shoving it over the hose nipple on the washer pump. (Just like other people have done.)
It doesn't leak and it works fine. I'm not going to buy the $110 part.

That pesky windshield washer tank leak-lz42chsl.jpg

I'm calling this one fixed.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 350 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
Another repair method is to clean the connector and apply generous amounts of JB Weld or similar high-quality, high-strength epoxy (not cheap fast-cure epoxy).
Old 06-30-2019, 11:00 PM

2005 S500 4Matic
Originally Posted by wallyp
Another repair method is to clean the connector and apply generous amounts of JB Weld or similar high-quality, high-strength epoxy (not cheap fast-cure epoxy).
Absolutely. I was all ready with syringes of high-PSI two-part epoxy, and before I tried that, I figured "Let me just see if slipping this hose over it stops the leaks." —And it did!
I thought initially the crack was where the connector bends in the L-shape, but it was actually in the barrel that connects to the hose nipple. A short piece if 5/16" tubing was all that it took!
Old 07-08-2019, 01:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
benz w220 2001
Hey Guys.

I am using W220 2001 from last 6 years with no issues at all.
now at once i am facing this issue. When ever i go through any jump or any broken road with just 20KM/Hr speed or above the power fluctuates like everything goes off and comes back immediately.
does anyone know about this issue.
Please do let me know. waiting for reply