S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

EPC warning following dash failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 04:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W220 S320 CDI
EPC warning following dash failure

My dash backlight died yesterday while driving, and then a few minutes later the whole instrument cluster stopped working. I had already read about this as a known W220 issue, so I made it home and planned to send off for repair. This evening I decided to check the fuses as I'd read a couple of people managed to get the dash at least moving again. Sure enough replacing the 5A in 79 got the needles moving, so I can be reasonably sure it's the backlight that needs repairing.

However. On starting the car, I've been presented with the diesel-only EPC warning message. I took the car for a quick drive and all feels completely normal. Does anyone know why this light has come on? Seems awfully coincidental that it would happen at the same time as the cluster going, but given that it's apparently fuel related, I don't see how?
Old 07-03-2019, 02:52 AM

W220 S320 CDI
Interesting update on this; went out to the car this morning to see what the situation was, and the car would not start. I just get the click and flash of dash lights that are symptomatic of a dead battery. The EPC light is also gone. The battery is only a few weeks old; could the faulty cluster be causing a drain in some way?
Old 07-03-2019, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 350 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
Open the boot while there is enough battery power to do so. Try the metal key to make certain that you can open the boot with a dead battery. Use a good spray lubricant in the lock mechanism, and work it numerous times. Struggling with the problems that you have will be bad enough without adding an unmovable boot lid to the mix.
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (07-04-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 02:51 PM

W220 S320 CDI
A final update for anyone that might encounter this in the future. The answer is yes; a faulty cluster can cause a drain, and can trigger the EPC warning. The good people at Revtronic (Bradford UK) repaired the cluster and there's now no parasitic draw, and no EPC.